need advice on an apple laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by meeks, Aug 3, 2006.

1. meeks macrumors regular

im in the market for a laptop to do some basic things. surf the web, check email, play dvds, ichat, a combo drive would be nice and airport also. i was looking at a macbook but i think thats overkill for what i want. i would want to spend around $400-600 and i would like it to run 10.4 as well. any recommendations would be great.

thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

try finding a refurb ibook- should do the job.

3. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

ive been looking at my local ads and on ebay, i see alot but im not sure exactly what to get.

4. T-Stex macrumors 6502

I'd agree with the iBook suggestion. You could probably find an iBook G4 within your price range, and that will suit your needs perfectly. I'd say anything above a 1GHz processor would be great, and get as much RAM as you can afford.

5. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

^^

thats pretty much what i had in mind. everything on ebay seems to be 800+. i didn't realize they had such a high re-sell value.

6. moonislune macrumors regular

Overpriced

The used G4s are still a bit overpriced, but if you keep on checking ebay, you'll find a good deal cheap. I picked up 2 G4s for around $500 a piece...both in almost perfect condition (knock on apples).

7. mpw Guest

iChat AV (if you can get it to work at all:mad: )might tax it a little but for everything else you list an iBook G3 would be fine. I'd still be using mine if it's logic board hadn't failed.

8. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

from the Apple store

Apple Certified Refurbished iBook G4 12-inch
    Refurbished iBook 12-inch 1.33GHz Combo Drive
    512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
    40GB Ultra ATA hard drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9550 (32MB DDR video memory)
    Built-in AirPort Extreme
    Built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Scrolling Trackpad
    Sudden Motion Sensor

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

for an extra couple hundred, you can get the base macbook. i wouldn't spend 800 for a used iBook if for 300 more (or less, with a student discount) i could get a brand new macbook.

10. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

You can still get new iBooks in the Education Store. You can get the smallest one for $949. But if you want iChat A/V, you will need to get a MacBook. You would have to get an external iSight camera if you got the iBook.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I would. $300 is a lot if you don't want to spend it.

iBooks are great. I sat next to a lady who had an iBook, and she talked about how much she has enjoyed using it.

12. meeks thread starter macrumors regular

13. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

true, but i'd want the newer technology. in the case of the OP, i suppose if 800 is out of his price range than 1100 defintiely is.

looks like a good computer at a good price from a seller with a good rating. go for it!

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, good specs and I think the price is good. :) You can definitely do everything you want with that iBook. I was able to do the same using a 1GHz G4 PowerBook. :)

15. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

yeah, that link you posted to looks perfect for your needs - and right in your price range. enjoy your need ibook ;) :)