Need advice on buying a mac book

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nitromaster, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Nitromaster macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (NokiaN70-1/2.0539.1.2 Series60/2.8 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Is a 13 inch screen big enough for just general web browsing,word processing etc,?

Will the mac book range be likely refreshed around the release of leopard?

Do apple actually check your edu status/age for the edu discount? Im 16,in full time education in ireland but cant get discount due to not being 18.

What is the intergrated graphics like?
    Would it be as powerful as a 8 year old 32mb ati graphics chip?

2. L3X macrumors 6502a

Oct 18, 2006
    Chesapeake, VA
    1. 13" is big enough for general use. External displays are a lot cheaper now so you can always get one later if you need it.

2. anyone can speculate about the mac books being refreshed in the spring, the last update was november so it's possible, but you can't wait on that if you need something now.

3. Not sure if Apple checks your Edu status

4. i think the integrated graphics is as powerful if not a little more, i could be wrong though
  3. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2006
    a. Only you can really answer this question. I do not intend to be mean
    but that's the underlying truth.

b. They should check your status but...who really knows ?

c. Every 6 months you can expect something new coming out of Apple.
    At the end, the old story of "latest and hottest" is a tough path
    to follow. If your daily used software is not updated, you will be ok.

d. Integrated graphics cards are ok for basic computing/programming.
    Just ignore games, fancy 3D effects, etc. It is not trivial
    to compare with other graphics cards so, if you want to play
    games and stuff, just keep in mind you would be running Windows
    (thru Boot Camp) with an integrated video card. If you are still uncertain
    how good/bad it is, visit a local store and play with similar Windows boxes.

Good luck !
  4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Yes, it's fine, but you can get an external display too if you want a bigger screen at home. It's nice having a computer that's about as big as a pad of A4 paper for portability.
    They will get Leopard, and iLife 07 included so you won't have to buy them (at full price) when they are released. The next hardware update will be for Santa Rosa which is due for release in April, Apple will probably have shipping Macbooks with it in about June.
    You should be OK but if they check you can't have it, morally you should get the discount.
    Probably similar to a Geforce FX5200, you won't be able to play new games on it though.
  5. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    I've been asked to show my ID card in a store. A few people who bought online said that Apple called their school (apparently they do this randomly). I would be surprised if they checked your age.
  6. Nitromaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    I dont really need good graphics.
    If I need to play games I can use my Wii. I was using a Windows 98 computer until last May (CPU 166Mhz,32Mb ram,4 GB Hard Drive) Graphics card was fine for games I need, GBA emulators etc.

Never thought of hooking it up to an external display. Thanks for the idea.
  7. Nitromaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    Just wondering, the CPU in the current MacBook is 64bit right?

My school has one computer room at the moment with iMacs , and is building an extension soon with a 2nd computer room.

So I might be able to get them to order my MacBook with the Macs for the new computer room.
  8. BGAYLOR07 macrumors member

Jan 19, 2007
    Georgia, U.S.

That's right. It's in the C2D.
  9. eXan macrumors 601

Jan 10, 2005
    Maybe in 2D stuff, but in 3D GeForce is definately faster.
  10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2003

Then you'll be very happy with it. Just go for it. The 13" screen is a lot bigger in person.
  11. Nitromaster thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 7, 2007
    I want two GB of RAM, Do you think I should order 1gigabyte with it and then replace the 2x512MB sticks with 2x1GB later?
    Any brands of RAM youd reccomend?

Whats the largest hard drive you can get and highest speed?

BTW This forum is class.