Need Advice On Buying Shares

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Embed, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Embed macrumors member

Embed

Hi there, i'v just got my hands on a nice amount of money and i am planning on buying some shares (for the first time) and of-course i am going to buy AAPL. but i have realized that i might be to late because of MacWorld.

Anyhow, what im asking is, Could you guys give me some advice on when to buy and such. i hope the stocks will fall a wee bit before the iphone is release, because i guess then the stocks will rocket.

any advice will be greatly received

thanks

Embed

2. slu macrumors 68000

slu

The best advice anyone here can give you is to find a broker and to generally research how the market works and how the market reacts to the world.

Using an Apple Fan Site to ask for advice on AAPL is not a wise thing to do, in my opinion. People around here do not exactly have non-biased opinions about Apple.

Good Luck with your investments however.

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I don't invest in stocks (because I am a high schooler with no money) but I watch them out of idle curiosity. Every year, Apple Stock goes way up around MacWorld SF :eek: and WWDC :eek: ! The MacWorld SF stock starts dropping the weekend before Martin Luther King Day, so you would sell that Friday?

NOTE: I have no idea how it actually works; just those patterns.

4. aj98 macrumors member

I don't know how much you know about playing the market, so I may end up telling you things you already know :) Bear with me.

Apple doesn't sell stock direct to the public, so you are forced to use a broker.
    Broker fees vary from as low as 5$ for online to $50+ for full service face to face local company.

Unfortunately, using a broker is going to make it more expensive for you, b/c most brokers like to deal in lots of 100 shares. (as opposed to companies that allow direct purchases for as little as $150, with little or no fee)

This is b/c the fee they charge is reflected as a percentage of the sale.
    Even though you can write off the fee as an investment expense
    you don't want to pay a 50$ fee for a 500$ purchase (10%).
    But 50$ fee on a 5000$ purchase is only 1%.

Brokers also charge a fee to sell, but thats another story...

Once purchased, consider getting in the DRIP, which will reinvest your dividends in more stock.

Anyway, personally, I don't try to "time" the market.
    Wait for the drop/split/rise that may happen next week or next month or next year?

Buying small lots at regular intervals is AKA dollar cost averaging, which compensates somewhat for the inevitable rise/fall in prices. (this is what the DRIP program does) (Buy some low, some high, some in between, lowers the overall TCO)