Need Advice On Buying Shares

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Embed, Jan 17, 2007.

1. Embed macrumors member

Jan 7, 2007
    Hi there, i'v just got my hands on a nice amount of money and i am planning on buying some shares (for the first time) and of-course i am going to buy AAPL. but i have realized that i might be to late because of MacWorld.

Anyhow, what im asking is, Could you guys give me some advice on when to buy and such. i hope the stocks will fall a wee bit before the iphone is release, because i guess then the stocks will rocket.

any advice will be greatly received

2. slu macrumors 68000

Sep 15, 2004
    The best advice anyone here can give you is to find a broker and to generally research how the market works and how the market reacts to the world.

Using an Apple Fan Site to ask for advice on AAPL is not a wise thing to do, in my opinion. People around here do not exactly have non-biased opinions about Apple.

Good Luck with your investments however.
  3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2003
    I don't invest in stocks (because I am a high schooler with no money) but I watch them out of idle curiosity. Every year, Apple Stock goes way up around MacWorld SF :eek: and WWDC :eek: ! The MacWorld SF stock starts dropping the weekend before Martin Luther King Day, so you would sell that Friday?

NOTE: I have no idea how it actually works; just those patterns.
  4. aj98 macrumors member

Nov 16, 2006
    I don't know how much you know about playing the market, so I may end up telling you things you already know :) Bear with me.

Apple doesn't sell stock direct to the public, so you are forced to use a broker.
    Broker fees vary from as low as 5$ for online to $50+ for full service face to face local company.

Unfortunately, using a broker is going to make it more expensive for you, b/c most brokers like to deal in lots of 100 shares. (as opposed to companies that allow direct purchases for as little as $150, with little or no fee)

This is b/c the fee they charge is reflected as a percentage of the sale.
    Even though you can write off the fee as an investment expense
    you don't want to pay a 50$ fee for a 500$ purchase (10%).
    But 50$ fee on a 5000$ purchase is only 1%.

Brokers also charge a fee to sell, but thats another story...

Once purchased, consider getting in the DRIP, which will reinvest your dividends in more stock.

Anyway, personally, I don't try to "time" the market.
    Wait for the drop/split/rise that may happen next week or next month or next year?

Buying small lots at regular intervals is AKA dollar cost averaging, which compensates somewhat for the inevitable rise/fall in prices. (this is what the DRIP program does) (Buy some low, some high, some in between, lowers the overall TCO)