Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I'll be buying a HD LCD tv pretty soon. Now I want to get some high quality video from my dvd player. The best way to do this is using the Y, Pr, Ps Component connections on the dvd player and tv. I've been roaming around various forums trying to figure out whether its worth investing in high quality cables (50+ euros per meter). I've read a few comments about people saying that there is no difference with cheaper cables, especially at that kind of length (I only need 1 meter).

I realise these are analog signals, so a really lousy cable could cause big quality video. Anybody have some advice for me on what quality cable to get?

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
All of my important cables are monster cables right now, or those Radioshack Gold plated ones.

I prefer the monster cables personally

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I've been looking at Monster as well. They're sort of tough to get here in Holland but I've heard a lot of good things (as well as a few bad things) about them.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
Unless you get total crap $5 cables, you will not find any meaningful difference. Most cables will provide you with the same picture quality.

Monster Cables -- unless you get their ultra-top-of-the-line-absurdly-priced-ones -- aren't much different than most other component cables. I might be able to dig up a review where they compared the signal loss, etc, across five brands.

In short, any cable will be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.