Need Advice on Ebay Auction Paid Through Paypal

Discussion in 'Community' started by jaw04005, Oct 21, 2004.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have a slight problem. I sold a Sony notebook on Ebay this past week for around $1400. My auction clearly stated 5 times among the auction's page that I would not ship internationally. Also, I had answered publicly 2 questions, asking if I would ship internationally that were present on the auction page. The first email I get from my high bidder, after winning the auction, was him asking me if I would ship to Spain. Sigh, very suspicious. I told them no, they never replied, and two days later payed via Paypal for the amount of the auction and the payment listed a NY shipping address. The shipping address is unconfirmed, and therefore I'm not elligible for Paypal's Seller Protection Policy that would prevent charge backs. Well, I email the winner again and ask to verify the shipping address and inform them that its unconfirmed. The winner has 40+ positive feedbacks, however gives me a "bad feeling." I don't know if I should refund the payment, and refuse to sell the item because of a unconfirmed shipping address? I know other people have been burned by paypal buyers who later decide they want to dispute the charge with there credit card companies, and those sellers get charged back. The winner has also emailed me several times asking when I'm going to leave positive feedback, and where is his tracking number? I emailed him back, and said it takes several days for paypal transactions to clear, and I wouldn't leave feedback until all transactions are cleared, and he receives the item. I just don't know what to do. Any advice?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'd send him his payment back and tell him where to shuv it!

3. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Absolutely. Refund the payment and nullify the sale. Even if those funds hit your bank account, PayPal can still take action to recover the $1400 if the buyer disputes the transaction. Given your description of events, I'd say that's highly likely.

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I would definitely not send to an unverified shipping address! You are right to be suspicious. Did your auction terms state that you would send to a verified shipping address only?

5. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

Unfortunately, I did not state that on the auction page. I'm going to refund the money, $1400 is too much to risk. He does have 100% positive feedback (as do I), but who uses paypal that many times without having a verified shipping address! I think thats bogus, and Pay Pal should disclose the information up front. You don't know if their address is verified, until they pay you.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Say you'll be in town on business this weekend and would like to exchange cash for PC in person. It might clear things up very quickly.

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Absolutely, positively, refuse the money and cancel the transaction. Leave a negative feedback while you're at it-- people need to stop bidding on auctions without reading/understanding the fine print. That's assuming this isn't a scam... post it again and hope the people will follow the rules this time...

paul

8. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

I too belive you should probably be suspecious considering they wanted internationalshipping and all, but as for the unverified address... I have a good ebay standing and have used pay pal to buy a lot of stuff.. but I recently moved to mexico and I am having stuff I order from here shipped to my g/fs house so It will be ther when I return... (Im a clepto).. Well I just recently bought a ton of x-10 stuff and when i wanted it shipped to her address... of course to Pay pal its "unconfirmed" .. well long story short.. it took a lot of convinceing for me to get the seller to ship it :-/

9. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

If he won't reply to emails, tell him that you aren't going to ship or refund till you get a reply. Then just keep the money in your paypal account and wait to see what happens.

10. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Most European addresses are Unverified so that isn't unusual. It's a paypal problem. To quote
    this page
    To answer the original question in this case however - It's hard to say if he's trying to scam you but he doesn't seem to want to take no for an answer. What's the stuff he's bought before like? High value or cheap ****? If it's cheap then don't send it - he's almost certainly scamming you. Personally I'd be very wary (as you are) and inclined to decline the sale. I wouldn't ship outside my own country either.