need advice on fw enclosure for a g4 450 dp using a 160 gb drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Col127, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

i was wondering if anyone could help me.

i have a powermac 450 dp. i understand that my mac is too old to support drives larger than 137 gb, because of the barrier.

i have a 160 gb drive lying around, and i was wondering if i bought a fw enclosure for it, if my mac would recognize it as a 160 gb or still 137 gb.

also, what's a good fw 400 enclosure to get? any advice in terms of brands, and what i should be looking for? can any fw enclosure work or does it have to be for mac?

also, i live up in toronto, canada so it'd be best if i could go somewhere to pick it up :)

2. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Item.cfm?ID=5775&Item=OWCMEFW800

OWC is probably the best. The 922 chipset is the best because it supports huge hard drive and is really fast. This enclosure has USB 2, Firewire 400, and Firewire 800. The price is good too.

EDIT: This enclosure will support up to a 500 gig drive. So I guess you'll be good to go. You might not exactly get the full 160 gigs after you format it but I'm sure it'll be more than what your PowerMac is reading. I hope this helps.