Need advice on installing a 2nd drive.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by amberashby, Feb 13, 2004.

1. amberashby macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 74GB SATA Western Digital Raptor drive to use as my main HD in my G5. It currently has the 160gb drive that it came with.

Do I need to plug the new HD into the location that the current one is in, in order for it to be reognized as the main (boot) drive? Or is this some sort of software setting?

Once I get that far I know I will need to format the drive and re-install Panther. Can I do that and then use my old drive (which is now my slave drive) to transfer my docs, songs, pics etc. before I format it?

Thanks. :)

2. TyleRomeo macrumors 6502a

Re: Need advice on installing a 2nd drive.

install the raptor drive. install OSX on it. boot from the raptor drive and then drag and drop your stuff then clean house on the 160 and do what you want with it.

Tyler

3. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but how does the OS know what drive to boot off of?

4. 3-22 macrumors regular

Maybe?

I'm new to the Mac world so take this with a grain of salt....

I know holding option key durring startup brings up a menu of bootable drives.

Also can't you just select the "Startup Drive" in the control panel?

5. Opteron macrumors 6502

Make sure one is set to master (the Raptor in this case) and the other to slave (the old one.)

6. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

Re: Maybe?

You are right. OSX (+ OS9) has a startup panel where you tell it what to boot off. Holding the options key will force the computer to search for all available boot devices, whether that be a cdrom, or a hard drive.

7. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'd set the drives to cable select (if they support it) and never worry about master/slave conflicts when you move drives around.

As far as I know, the firmware dictates the startup device, not the HDD order or presence of a bootable device.

8. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

technical info most of you won't be interested, from this Apple technote:

which just means that Rower is correct. it doesn't matter how you have your drives set re: master/slave as long as they're not conflicting with each other or your optical drive(s).

install your new HD with the jumpers set to slave or cable select, as your existing HD is most likely already set to master. boot up, and use Disk Utility (or your install CD) to install Panther on the new drive. once that's done, transfer all of your files from the old HD to the new. then set your startup disk (under 'System Preferences' in the apple menu) to the new drive. do whatever you want to the old HD -- leave as is, reformat, stir-fry with fresh ginger, etc.

and you're done -- easy pleasy, nice 'n cheesy.

9. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks all!!

I'll add the drive tonight and post my results. I'm going to install the OS and all my Apps on the Raptor. I'm hoping that I will get a small speed bump.

10. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm having problems. Installed the new Raptor. System recognized the hard drive, but it won't let me initialize/erase it. It keeps giving me an error.

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

12. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Disk erase failed. Underlying task reported failure on exit.

It says this right away.

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Hmmm...and is this from the OS install CD or from Disk Utility in Panther?

14. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Disk utility. Should I try it from the Panther install CD?

15. Calliander macrumors member

This sounds like the HD is defective. But, just to make sure... You installed the drive, plugged the SATA cables in, started the computer, and then ran Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, you have the list of drives on the left and they say something like

(hd icon) "157.2GB Seagate...."
    (hd icon indented) "Macintosh HD"
    (hd icon) "71.8GB Seagate...."

Then you clicked on the 74GB drive, went to the "Partition" tab, selected "1 Partition" from the pulldown menu, named the drive, then clicked "Partition" and it gives you that error?

16. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

when i chose partition it tells me that the drive is too small to partition. The other error I ge when I choose erase.

17. Calliander macrumors member

Hehe. Is it reporting the size of the drive properly? We had this one machine once where the IDE bus was reporting the internal drive as 670GBs. I have the picture somewhere... Ahh, there we go, too big. Let me shrink that and I'll attach it. :)

Looks like your drive is dead. Return it.

18. Calliander macrumors member

Here we go:

Attached Files:

19. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Mine shows 0 for size.

Is there any way that the jumper settings could cause this?

20. anabatic macrumors newbie

Cable to blame?

i just purchased a second drive for my G5 as well and am experiencing the same proiblem. i thought the unit was defective so i returned it for another one. same problem. then i pulled out my top hard drive and installed my new one there. guess what? no problem initializing or partitioning. then i tried putting it in the lower bay and reconnected my old drive in the top bay and the disks showed up but i couldn't copy anything into it. does anyone know how hard it is to replace the SATA cable for the bottom bay? how does one do it?

21. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

SATA doesn't have cable select since there is only one device per channel [ for now ] ..

He can select the boot device by booting with " option " pressed ..

22. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Yes .. install the drive in the mac .. boot with the CD .. on the first screen under the blue apple select disk util and erase / partition the drive ..

Then close disk util and either install the OS or reboot ..

23. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

*slaps head*

Don't know how I overlooked that - I need to get with the SATA program. :p

24. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

I just realized that I never posted my resolution for this old thread that I started.

My drive was defective. Exchanged it and now all is well.

25. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

I use "carbon copy cloner" to clone my system onto the Raptor. Since I already had all my apps installed onto the stock 250GB, I just cloned the system (minus personal files) onto the Raptor and select it as the boot drive from the System Prefs.