Need advice on laptop manufacturers...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pavetheforest, Aug 15, 2006.

1. pavetheforest macrumors regular

pavetheforest

Hi, My girlfriend is in the market for a laptop for about $700 dollars and under. I tried convincing her to save up for a mac but she wont budge and I can't afford to help her out. Anyway, I'm very computer savvy so technically I dont have any questions, I'm just looking for some direction when it comes to brand. Any recommendations on which manufacturer will give her the best bang for her buck? Im shying away from dell, wondering about acer/hp. If you know of some deals going on within the next week that'd be great too. Thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Acer computers arent terrible, I'd tend to stay away from HP because I've had unpleasant phone marathons with their customer support. Samsung makes decent computers, as does Sony. I don't know about prices though, I only buy Macs :)

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You can find some used Apple iBooks or PowerBooks for under $700- do you think that she would be interested in going this route or does the laptop have to be brand-new? :)

4. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

used ibook. maybe a refurb?
    i have a ibm thinkpad from work and it is very durable (much more so than my old dell inspiron)

5. pavetheforest thread starter macrumors regular

pavetheforest

brand new, and i tried the refurb ibook route. no go, she just wont give in to the beauty of osx and macs overall quality. It kills me! !:eek: Anyway, i think i'm writing off hp and dell...any other ideas?

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

7. pavetheforest thread starter macrumors regular

pavetheforest

hahah i'd be a much richer man

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

yeah definitely avoid dell, unless you want your house/apartment/girlfriend's lap to turn into a flaming inferno.

9. pavetheforest thread starter macrumors regular

pavetheforest

yeah, I saw. Maybe they're trying to enter residential heating industry, portable fireplaces: *beware of open flame/spontaneous combustion*