Need advice please

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by robo44, Feb 16, 2013.

1. macrumors member

Feb 1, 2013
    Ive a new imac and i love it but when i am downloading and i need my bed i need to find a way of shutting the screen down so it goes dark but i still want my download to carry on until it finishes.
    I use utorrent so the auto shutdown when download finishes works fine but just dont want the screen on all the time.
    Thanks again people :)

Ps Not sure how to find my last thread but thanks to whoever answered as it answered my problem....

Great forum :)))))
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010

Caffeine might help, or just using the F1 key to turn the display brightness down.

Stay any longer and it will much worse. ;)
  3. macrumors 601

Oct 5, 2003
    Dark Castle
    Can you simple just adjust the brightness to the lowest possible level therefore it is practically off?
  4. macrumors 6502

Feb 2, 2003
    Gone to the Beach
    Set up a Hot Corner in Desktop & Screen Saver preferences?
  5. macrumors 601

May 22, 2008
    Milwaukee, WI
    Is this in a dorm room or something?

If so, do you have a closet the iMac will fit into close enough to where it is plugged in?

If not, construct a cardboard barrier to set between the iMac and your pillow to block the light, and reduce the brightness as much as you can. Also, rotate the iMac to the position that casts the least amount of light towards you eyes.
  6. r0k
    macrumors 68040

Mar 3, 2008
    In system preferences "energy saver", you can set display sleep to 1 minute.

You can also mute sounds so the only clue you will have that your Mac is awake is that the screen will wake up when you move your mouse or the fans will run if the cpu load goes up.

I have my MBP running ML set to sleep at night but you can disable that in energy saver as well.