Need Advice! Powerbook or iMac and iBook??!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by PaRaGoNViCtiM, Aug 10, 2005.

1. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    Ok guys, I need some advice. I currently have a 15" 1.5Ghz Powerbook with 1GB of Ram, I freakin' love the thing. It's my only computer, I don't have a desktop. However, I'm so paranoid something is going to happen to it that I'm wondering if it would be more practical for me to sell it and buy a G5 iMac and a G4 iBook? I need a laptop for school. I've been getting into a little graphic design work, however it's very minimal. I usually only use it for web browsing, email, word processing, and a little Photoshop and Final Cut. I'm so overprotective of my PB, I'm so scared, taking it to school, thinking something might happen to it. So I wonder if I will feel more relaxed with an iBook? The thought of having a desktop and a laptop is very appealing to me. Some advice or stories would be so helpful.
    Thanks in advance guys!!!
  2. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Sep 2, 2004
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Ya know, I'm actually considering doing the same thing. I have a Dual G5 as my desktop and the 15" 1.67 ( I love it too). I'm also considering selling it and moving down to the 12" iBook, so that way I can save up so $$ for when the Mactel's make there way out.

I too dread bringing the PB in the backpack, worrying about it on the subway etc.. not that I wouldn't worry about an iBook but like you said, your more protective of the PB b/c of it's beauty.
  3. Legacy macrumors 6502

Jul 27, 2005
    Hmm sounds to me like you shouldnt go and buy a new laptop. You will be protective over your iBook as well when you get it trust me:) its a beautiful machine!...My bet is you should mabbe get hold of a G5 iMac and probs find a good G3 iBook over the net for practical use.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    paragon, you're not the only one thinking this way, why do you think I'm trying to sell my PB? Now that I have the more powerful iMac G5, I really don't need a Powerbook anymore. Sigh. But I'm not getting any takers, really. :(
  5. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2005
    You will most likely lose money on this trade. Instead, I would save your money, and that way, you know you will be able to upgrade later so possibly this would ease up the tension with the PB.
  6. Vster macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    Celina, TX
    That's exactly what I did, well my PB was a 1GHz Ti with Superdrive and 1GB ram, but the iBook is way better than that, and more compact for school. And the iMac is just great to have. Its an awesome machine!
  7. PaRaGoNViCtiM thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    I know I will be very protective and worried about the iBook too. But having the iMac will put my mind at ease, that if something did happen to the iBook, I still have a computer.