need advice - what pc laptop to get?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mcadam, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

Since I know macrumors to be full of wise and undogmatic people please let me hear your advice on this...

A friend (really) is going to get himself a laptop. He doesn't want a mac, mainly because some key applications are missing in the field of architecture (acad, 3dstudio, rhino...damn) and I've been missioning quite enough already.

He's got around 2000$ to spend, maybe a bit more - in Denmark, where things tend to be a bit more expensive than in the U.S. What should he get?

A

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

He should start with Sony's line of VAIO laptops... they have a wide array of machines, so you can decide how much power you want, versus how large the laptop will be. (Superslims for people who carry them around, desktop-replacement laptops for people who leave them in place, and everything in between.) The quality of construction is quite high.

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Sure. :rolleyes:

Get a Vaio or hp. How much more expensive are thing in Denmark?

4. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I agree Sony makes some very good quality laptops. I would say they are as close in quality to Apple you will get with a PC.

5. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

the closest to apple quality you are going to get with a pc laptop is a thinkpad. only problem is they are just as pricey (if not more)

6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I wish they would look as good too. But that is impossible. :( :p

7. mcadam thread starter macrumors 6502a

mcadam

man, you are great, thanks a lot.

How about fujitsu siemens? I heard some good things about them..

A

8. Logik macrumors 6502a

three letters... I.B.M.

look at their thinkpads.. it was the next in line after the powerbook i bought almost a year ago... for good reason, they're the best built laptops out there.. look into those for sure

9. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

10. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

They are ok but not nearly as good as the other listed.

11. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

I agree about IBM Thinkpads and Sony. Steve Jobs used to own a Thinkpad back in the NeXT days, and we all know he has kind of a thing for Sony. So from an Apple point of view, you would be safe with those two :)

ps. I also heard that when he was back at Apple, he told the PowerBook Wallstreet engineers to look at the Thinkpads to see how it should be done.

12. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Just be sure to try them out before you buy them. Make sure that you like them, if Apple like them or not it does not matter. ;)

13. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

IBM makes a really nice t42p thinkpad. 128mb ati fire-tl graphics. Aimed to be a high end mobile work-station. Its kind of pricey, but could handle the cad easily.

14. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Just no Compaq, or HP

You don't want those, they make me cry they are so poor

15. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Asus have a W1/W1000 laptop which looks like the Powerbooks,
    it also have pretty good specs.

I think asus builds apples powerbooks too.

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Some of the VAIOs are nice, and they range from 2 pound "Processor and dinky screen" to 8 pound "Kitchen sink AND electric range!"

I have yet to see a laptop of theirs get over 4 hours of battery life however. They are extremely nicely built, look good, strong, etc. But battery life outside of Apple is kinda bad....

I've seen one of the ultra-mini Fujitsu laptops (touch screen, dinky keyboard) and it came with 112MB of RAM (128 MB really, but those integrated graphics...) and WinXP was slow as a dead rat that had some-- well, it wasn't pretty.

Toshiba-- Nice, but have fans on them, OK battery life, and kinda big.
    (Don't know much beyond this)

Oh, and Gateways are pieces of JUNK. They break, have conflicts, and all these other major problems-- plus they don't help in the least with getting them fixed. My friend has one.... not a good TWO MONTH long process getting it fixed.

17. Otto Rehhagel macrumors regular

Otto Rehhagel

Battery-life in PC laptops definately varies greatly among manufacturers, but I have used IBM laptops for over 5 years. I would get between 3 hours on average.

I have dropped them in bags, thrown them on the back seat of my car (lots of dents), and they still work great. VERY reliable. As for the OS, that's another story.

Not sure if you like the "eraser head" pointing stick, but if you do, it is a very precise pointing device.

18. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm surprised no one mentioned Dell. I think their laptops are fairly decent, not bad at all for the money.

If you're looking for something truly exceptional, look no further than Falcon Northwest:

http://www.falcon-nw.com/fragbook.asp

19. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

dont get a toshiba. and whatever you do, dont buy from best buy! theres a story behind this but my hands are tired lol

20. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I like Vaio's, but seriously considered this nice unit. Why? Windows is an abomination. Why not place it on an abominable laptop?

21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Agreed. Upper-level Toshiba's are swell, but the low-end models are beyond crappy.

22. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Their ST5000 tablet PC is an incredible piece of engineering.

23. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I thought IBM was stopping making personal computers. If so, I don't think you should buy one. You never know what kind of support you'll get if something goes wrong...

24. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Toshiba used to be good; I still have my Satellite Pro 425CDT and it was built like a TANK. I wouldn't buy one these days, though. They look cheap and plastic-y. NEC, HP, Fujitsu & Gateway all look like junk, too. I'd vote with everyone else to get an IBM ThinkPad. I've got a really old one at home (380ED or something. P166MMX) and it's quite solid too.

The general opinion on this board seems to be that IBM makes the best pc notebooks.

Also, I'll be the first one to say it: Are you sure your friend cannot use a PowerBook? Is there no CAD software for the Mac? Don't mean to push you, just wondering.

25. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

My employer is currently evaluating one of Hypersonic PCs offerings (Aviator CXS). So far it has held up to some serious testing and they tend to be pretty good on the cost to performance ratio, not to mention easy on the eyes. Don't bother with the custom paint jobs though - waste of money IMO

http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-mobile.htm