Need Air Port Extreme input

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by TheRealDamager, Feb 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

I just bought 2 Air Port Extreme units (the latest 5th generation). I'd like to use them in the following configuration:

1. Unit 1 connected to my cable modem, providing wireless service and wired to a switch which distributes the connectivity to a few other places in my house via ethernet cable.

2. Unit 2 on the opposite side of the house, extending the wireless signal from Unit 1, and hardwired to the ethernet in the house. Then several other items plugged into Unit 2 for connectivity.

Problem is, I seem to have 1 of 2 choices:

1. Configure Unit 2 in bridge mode. Hardwire to network works and connectivity works, but there is no wireless turned on, hence no wireless extension.

2. Configure Unit 2 to Extend Network. Wireless is extended, and works fine. Items can be plugged into Unit 2 and get connectivity, but I cannot connect Unit 2 to the wired network.

Am I right that I can't get what I want - Unit 2 wired into the internal ethernet network AND extending the wireless network from Unit 1?

2. macrumors 68020

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

That worked - the secret for me was to "Create A New Network" instead of joining a network, and then setting it up just as you recommended - thanks!

4. macrumors 68040

I'm sorry, but what is the difference in "Bridge Mode" and extending a network?

5. thread starter macrumors 65816

When you setup the Unit 2 Air Port Extreme, and go through the initial setup, you are only offered 2 options - "Set up a new network" and "Extend a network".

It seems like you should pick "Extend a Network", but you actually need to select "Set up a new network", and then use the exact same SSID and access password in order to set up everything correctly the way I needed it. If you select "Extend a network", you will end up repeating the wireless signal of the original network instead, which is not what I wanted.

6. macrumors 68040

So will you get more of a range this way? I have a Time Capsule and and AE. Them modem is going to the Time Capsule and extending the network to the Airport Extreme

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

No idea - not sure how the Time Capsule compares to the Air Port Extreme.

8. macrumors regular

They are essentially the same device but the time capsule has an internal drive and larger form factor.