Need Airport Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by edge9in, Aug 10, 2005.

1. edge9in macrumors newbie

I'm wanting to enable a secure connection on my Airport base station. Is there a way to make it where my wife and I are online with our computers, but it wont let other people on unless we want them to join? Whats the best way to do this? I'm not really familiar with wireless security.

2. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

Why, spotlight up "Airport...." shucks, what's it called? "Airport Base Station Setup"? I can't remember....anyhowses, it's an app that you will have that allows you to configure your base stations. (Maybe it's Airport Extreme Setup Utility). There you'll have many options on configuring, one of which is WPS, or security where you can only join the network with a password.

Create a good tricky dicky password, and then the first time you connect you'll have an option to save it to Keychain, and then you'll never have to type it in again. Unless someone gets that password, it'll only be you two.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

AirPort Admin Utility is probably the one you're looking for. It's in the Utilities folder (funnily enough :p ). As wheezy said, you can put a password on the thing and that's pretty safe and secure for home uses.

However if you want to go one step further you can make it so that only specific machines are allowed to join. I've never tried this myself. I'm pretty sure it's done by making a list of MAC addresses that are allowed onto the wireless network.

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I did do that MAC address option on the DLink router I have, it worked great. Passwords on that router always gave me grief, so I opted for that route.

Yesss...Airport Admin Utility. Coming to work at 5:45 means waking up extra early..and, my brain isn't really on while I surf the forums. I work in a call center, no one calls that early, so it's forum surfin' time!

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

edge9in, I haven't found how to do it with AirPorts yet (haven't given it an attempt to be honest). I assume it's in the Wireless Security options which is on the first page that comes up having opened AirPort Admin Utility. Meh, it can't be that hard, it's an Apple product after-all. :D

Have fun in the call centre wheezy. :)