need alternative to @mac.com e-mail?

Discussion in 'Community' started by voicegy, Jul 19, 2002.

1. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    From Spymac.com:

"We are excited about making Spymac mail the best free service available. Consequently, we are currently accepting feature requests.

What would you like to see in the new Spymac mail?"

I don't even friggin' believe this...:rolleyes:

2. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I wouldn't want e-mail from the site that brought us the iWalk and the "penile size" forums.

3. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I would rather go back to hotmail than spymac. iWalk destroyed their business

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

IF I was to get yet another email accounts, I would want one from MacRumors. :D

Since I have six from Earthlink, one from Yahoo and one from work, I really don't need any more email accounts. I can access the one from work via any online system. All I need to do to get to my Earthlink account is bring my TiBook with me, or get to it via their webmail feature. I never did use my @mac.com email account, so I won't miss it (even though I will be getting the $50 iDisk).

5. ponyboy macrumors regular

You think so do ya? Did you ever visit spymac before the whole iwalk thing? It wasnt half the site it is now. That stunt brought in a lot of hits/cash and now it is actually a fun site to cruise around in.

6. awrootbeer macrumors member

That's the funniest thing I've read all day. the iWalk DESTROYED thier business? They wouldn't EXIST without that whole thing. The iWalk CREATED their business. Like it or not, it was one hell of a way to introduce a new rumor site. And as pointed out, it's not even the same site anymore, it's a pretty happening community these days.

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

With a rather severe penil fixation. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D :cool:

8. awrootbeer macrumors member

I'll give you that, but remember that I'm sure the readership of Spymac/macrumors/ai etc overlaps quite a bit.. :)

9. j763 macrumors 6502a

If you guys need something to replace your mac.com email, one really good service I've found is FastMail. For a *once off* $14.95 fee, you get no ads, no taglines, web access, IMAP access, POP retreival, 16MB mailbox and 80mb transfer per month. There aren't any hidden charges -- just $14.95 once off... no yearly, monthly etc. fees.

For my purposes (email) it's a *way* better offer than .mac...

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

am i the only one that found mac.com email to be really slow? ie, i'd send a message with it and it wouldn't get to its recipient (myself at another address) til the next day....

i never really used it, just kinda tested it. and the slowness kept me from using it more

11. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

it was slow, im hopeing that .mac speeds things up.
    it only took an hour for me;)

as for spymac, i have gone there in the past to look at the pictures, but i have never even looked at the forums

12. awrootbeer macrumors member

There is no doubt that Spymac can and will make a wonderful free email service.

BUT the key point is that it will be free. Guys, you get what you pay for. Do yourself a favor and subscribe to that $15 thing that was pointed out. That way if you have trouble you can demand support.

Apple ripped us all off, they should have made current iTools accounts free for life, imo... but that's a topic for another thread.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

First... I would love to offer you guys macrumors email addresses... but I don't want to take on that responsibility... it is a big responsibility... and a lot of support. I can't promise that MacRumors will be around indefinately.

That being said... if you want a "permanent" email address... the best way is to register your own domain, and have your own email address.

It will cost you... but it will yours for as long as u want it.

arn

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No - don't say that!!!! MacRumors forever!!!!!

If you ever need to get rid of the responsibility, I'm sure you'd be able to find someone to take care of it for you. Besides, there's blakespot too, and I'm sure some of the Demi-Gods, myself included wouldn't have a problem with added responsibility.

D

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

WHY would I want to pay for yet another email address when I get plenty of them from my ISP?? Every ISP that I have ever seen or heard of offers you at least one email address with the account. That is all included in what you pay them, nothing extra there.

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

arn ,I think that it's safe to say that you have a wide enough user base to keep the site going (wouldn't be the same though) I bet when you started the site you weren't expecting the community to take off like this.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

You probably would have a little more weight with your free law.com e-mail address when complaining to Apple about their new policy.

18. iGav macrumors G3

Well.... I use www.gmx.com I joined whilst it still had many language variations... now it's just German.... although that obviously isn't a problem if you can speak it....... :p

I find it stable, fast and has the added attraction of being able to send quite huge attachments........

Only problem is you may have problems registering if you can't speak German...... but hey English is a Germanic language so you'll figure it out.... heh heh :p :p :p

19. voicegy thread starter macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002

Well, no one can make that promise for anything, considering human life spans, changes in technology, politics, etc.;)

(and I never understood the "free e-mail for life" quote that is so often attributed to Steve Jobs and Apple...witness the INCREDIBLE amount of contributions to the .Mac topic on MacInTouch...I never thought for a second that keeping up something like that would ever be free "for life")

arn, if it ever looks like MacRumors may pop off the web, for ANY reason, just shout...I'll buy another mug.:p

You've done such a great job of earning the respect and good will of your members and visitors, that I'd subscribe yearly (fee based) in a heartbeat. Thankfully, that probably would never happen here, and wouldn't be "cricket"...but this site is worth that to me if it ever came to be. I'm sure the many GREAT contributors here feel the same way...

Anyway, back to SYPMAC...yeah, they have become "better" since their notorious debut on the web during the last MacWorld...and I gotta admit, it was quite a way to get well known quickly. The iWalk had the community in fits, and it was a fun time had by all. I personally think the site is great looking and exciting in design, but I still don't go there, let alone post or reply to posts, because it seems that its major install base are 11 year old crack fiends. At least that's what it feels like to me...

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I don't recall hearing the "free for life" about iTools... I do remember hearing free, but that is about all.

As for supporting MacRumors.com, hell yeah, I would purchase another mug before the year runs out. IF arn puts out the call for assistance (of the financial kind), I would wager that many of us Demi-Gods would answer the call. It might even prompt some of the regulars, and people with over 500 posts to contribute. :D