NEED AN ANSWER ASAP re: MagSafe adaptor

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asherman13, Nov 16, 2006.

1. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Will anything BAD happen if I use my friend's MacBook 60 watt power adaptor to charge/use my MacBook Pro (the adaptor for the MBP is 85 watts)?

Thanks...

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You risk burning out the adaptor and destroying it by trying to draw 85W out of a 60W adaptor. You MBP may not charge. Don't do it.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I think the situation is the same as with Powerbooks: you can use the lower-powered adapters, but the computer will not charge the battery and run at the same time, you have to sleep it to have the battery charge.

There shouldn't be any problem just running it or just charging it, and I've never heard of someone burning out their adapter like that. My friend would charge his 60w powerbook all the time on my 45w adapter while he was waiting for a replacement to come in the mail last year. Never a problem.

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

It works fine. It will charge and run at the same time.

5. 0010101 macrumors regular

As an engineer, i'm going to say that it will probably charge your notebook just fine, provided it's off while you're charging.

If the battery is stone cold dead, and you use the lower wattage supply to power the notebook and try to charge while watching a DVD and surfing the 'net with an Airport card probably isn't a good idea.