Need an app to share iPad screen over Internet

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by someguy, Jul 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 68020

someguy

Anyone know of an app or service that allows screen sharing over the web to a remote client? I need to give a product demo in this way soon.

All app suggestions are appreciated!

2. macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

Know of a way to remote into remote computers but not share an iPad screen over the internet. I'll be interested to see what people have to say.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

The only solution I've been able to come up with is installing a VNC server on my iPad and either forwarding the appropriate ports to allow for remote access, or configuring a temporary VPN account for the remote client and only allowing them access to my private IP address on that port.

I'd really rather do something more professional like use a service is meant for this type of thing, and that will probably work a lot better (faster) than VNC.

4. macrumors newbie

Do you want to share the iPad screen, or view on the iPad a screen being shared from a computer? If the latter, check out

https://join.me

It's free for a small meeting, and they have free viewers to download for mobile devices.

5. thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

I need others to be able to view what is on the screen of my iPad as I use it. Unfortunately, this seems like a difficult thing to accomplish. I thought there would be tons of apps and services for this! :(

6. macrumors 6502a

If you're jailbroken, I saw an app in cydia that allows you to record the screen, if it doesn't absolutely have to be in realtime.

7. thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

We might not be using a jailbroken iPad for the actual demo, but either way, realtime viewing is very important here.

8. macrumors member

I just had a flash of thought...

has anyone tried to mirror an iPad 2 over VPN to a remote Apple TV [over AirPlay]?

while it is technically the reverse, this could possibly be a good stopgap to see remote iPad screens on my Apple TV.

if anyone can confirm this works - it'd be awesome [as it would work without jailbreaking!]

9. macrumors newbie

VPN in to network

I love that idea. I am going to try to test that out. Please stay tuned.

10. macrumors member

11. macrumors 603

Another option is getting an external video capturer tool with streaming capabilities. It wouldn't require jailbreaking (unless you absolutely must use component / composite cables).

Question:

- how much money do you have? That is, can you purchase a $150-200 HDMI capturer unit? Some of those (like the Elgato Game Capture HD) also allow for direct(!) and realtime(!) Internet streaming.

- if you can't and can put up with the quality of component / composite cables, can you jailbreak for DisplayOut to work?