Need an External DVD Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Amber, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Amber macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2006
    Doesn't have to burn. It's only really going to be used to transfer files and watch lots of DVDs of all regions. In the UK would be good. I get 5% discount on Amazon too. Has to work with Mac.

Thanks in advance
  2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
  3. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2006
  4. DMBGuru macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2007
    Tempe, AZ
  5. Amber thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2006
    Newegg is for the US. Besides, I'm asking for recommendations. Most seem to be burners where the only real use is for watching different region DVDs.
  6. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2004
    London, UK
    You'll struggle to find just a DVD reader, almost everything on the market now-a-days can burn so you just have to find the cheapest. I recommend and Amazon.
  7. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

Jul 26, 2006
    Traveling The World
    I was looking for exactly the thing. A External DVD drive that I would watch Different region DVDs on with out changing the DVD Code on the drive within my PowerBook, and the burning had no real use.

abrooks is right...
    I searched for two weeks straight, phoning different companies, Dabs and Amazon weren't that much help. And as soon as you as "is it MAC compatible" they just look at you as they don't know.

The Solution
    This is where I got my External DVD Drive. More specifiacally I got this one:

It'll a little pricey - but it cheaper instead of building and flashing your own (i considered doing this - until i looked into how damaging it can be). So i opted for this.
    It resets the region code every time you turn it off. So the "change it five time are gone". The guy is also online most of the time, and allows you to chat with him before you purchase. I asked him all the question i could before i bought it. But Well Worth It.

Hope that helps.
  8. L3X macrumors 6502a

Oct 18, 2006
    Chesapeake, VA