Need an external HD recommendation.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markjones05, Mar 11, 2007.

1. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    So I have 3 Lacies, 120gig, 160gig and 300gig, a Wibetech 750gig, and a 500gig internal. I am looking for a good recommended solution for my growing storage needs. I do video production and am constantly juggling jobs and drives and it gets confusing. I also think one of my Lacies is dying as it keeps ejecting itself randomly. I would love suggestions on a reliable brand and possibly a better workflow solution.

2. furious macrumors 65816

Aug 7, 2006
    Western Digital My-Books are good. They have a new 1tb one to. LinkLooks good to.
  3. dr427 macrumors regular

Oct 13, 2005
    Oklahoma City
    I personally have not tried one, but G-technology consistently gets high marks from Macworld Magazine. And I think they are tailored for Video Production.
  4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Jul 27, 2001
    Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
    I Like To Build Them Myself

If you live in a Fry's market, Seagate PATA & SATA 400GB drives with 16MB buffers are regularly on sale for $100 and AcomData FW cases are $40 after $10 rebate. I build a lot that way. I recently bought two IOMEGA and two AcomData 500GB external USB2 drives in cases there for $130 each after rebate.
  5. Georgie macrumors member

Aug 25, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    Is USB2 just as fast as FW400 in real world settings?

At what point do you upgrade to some like a (poor man's) Xserve? I have two external hard drives and it's already a hassle to keep track of what's on which drive and be plugging and unplugging various cables. Once you have three or four drives and their content becomes invaluable, it seems like a some sort of networked, Raid-1 enabled, fileserver becomes worth the money. How much would a reliable one cost? (I'm curious myself.)

I do a fair amount of creative digital work including family videos, and I personally consider that data invaluable. That's why I bought a 1 Terabyte WD MyBook. It has two internal 500 GB hard drives that can be set to mirror raid, which is what I've done. That gives me some peace of mind. So far the drive has been quite nice, and if you look it up on Amazon, don't pay attention to all the complaints about noise. I'm sure that was a problelm once, but a firmware upgrades sets the fan speed lower and my drive at least makes very little noise.

I'd also say I need a hub for all this data clutter. I wish my hub could be an external monitor (30 inch please!). I also wish Dell would incorporate Firewire ports into their external monitors like Apple does--that would clinch the deal for me. However that brings up another question. Is there a meaningful difference any longer between USB2 and FW400? I expect FW800 is substantially faster, but I have an early model Macbook Pro, which only has FW400. I ask because I may be better off connecting the MyBook with USB instead of FW (as I'm doing now), thereby allowing me to conveniently attach my two external hard drives and printer to one USB hub. Hmm, any advice?
  6. seany916 macrumors 6502

Jun 26, 2006
    Southern California

We use G-Tech for video editing & no problems so far. I've owned older LaCie drives and they can disappoint. The little bus powered mini drives are really cool.
  7. caccamolle macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2005
    I will add my recent purchase, CalDigit.
    I have their 2 bay enclosure (Firewire VR) and it looks great, fast...(FW400, FW800, USB2.0). Extremely well built, swappable drives.
  8. ribbonthecat macrumors regular

May 23, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Can anybody recommend a good dual bay external firewire enclosure?
  9. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Yes. I benchmarked it. FireWire 400 was almost exactly 2x faster than USB at Finder copying a 1.3 Gb folder. Same Mac, same brand new drive, no other processes running. If I was multitasking, the USB would have been slower yet, because it relies on CPU power to manage the transfer much more than Firewire.

For primary storage, or for large volume transfer, go Firewire all the way.

WiebeTech SilverSATA FS; 2 bays, SATA internals, FW connection. Expensive, but well built.
  10. mustard macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2005
    If you want security and speed and have a desktop I would recommend the LaCie S1S drives (1tb or 2tb) which will give you a great deal of growth as well as the protection of Raid 5 and the speed of eSATA. If you are in the need of a firewire based drive I would recommend the LaCie F800, it is the same as the S1S but utilizes IDE drives and connects via FW800 which can be stepped dow to FW400 if needed.

I have purchase a 2tb S1S to replace my three previous triple interface LaCies (which are for sale PM me if interested)

1 - 1tb
    2 - 500gb
  11. hal0n macrumors regular

Dec 27, 2004
    I have 2 g-tech drives and I think they are great. I've given away my LaCie and Fantom's... There really is no going back.
  12. Georgie macrumors member

Aug 25, 2006
    Columbus, Ohio
    That's good to know, thank you.
  13. caccamolle macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2005

see my post just above.