Need an opinion about Legos ... HELP!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by h4ckintosh, Jun 19, 2006.

1. h4ckintosh macrumors member

h4ckintosh

I have a small dilemma. I am selling 50 LEGO sets on eBay from 1995-1997 but my only problem is I can't decide on what $ I should start the bid at nor can I decide whether to set a reserve. To add to the confusion my dad is telling me to sell them individually (!!) saying that it will draw more profit. Since people reading this are of the intelligent variety, and also since I have no friends, I thought I'd ask you all what your opinion is.

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Have you surveyed other eBay sales for comparable items? That's always a good starting point for evaluating prices.

3. h4ckintosh thread starter macrumors member

h4ckintosh

I've checked and alot of the kits aren't listed :rolleyes: go figure

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

pedant
    Make sure you call it LEGO and not legos. The company has said many times that calling it legos is incorrect. When you say "I have 50 sets of legos" you should say "I have 50 sets of lego." It's like sheep, the plural of sheep is sheep.
    /pedant

Check places other than eBay. Sometimes there are hobby sites that will tell you roughly what each lego set is worth. Try and find a Lego enthusiast website.

5. h4ckintosh thread starter macrumors member

h4ckintosh

thanks ... i've decided to just sell them as one honking heap..

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I was always happier with a big tub of LEGOs, Id rather create stuff on my own.

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Thanks for taking care of that - I was going to say something similar. It drives me mental when people say go play with your Legos.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Probably the best proof that I was all-in in my marriage was when I gave her son my Lego.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Good luck with your sale, h4ckintosh. If you don't mind, please post here again when you've sold them and tell us how it went. A lot of us have old toys in the closet and would be curious to know how well your Lego sets did.

10. h4ckintosh thread starter macrumors member

h4ckintosh

11. Lau Guest

<Drools at huge picture of Lego>

Although I was always more of a standard block kinda gal myself. :)

Good luck with your sale, h4ckintosh.

12. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Set your reserve at the price of a new item. That's what everybody else on eBay does.

13. iGav macrumors G3

Technic all the way for me. :D

I was in my ma's loft on Sunday, and stumbled across bags, and bags, and bags of LEGO.. Duplo too. :D Duplo's funky. :D

14. Lau Guest

You are wrong.

:p

Ooh, I rescued all my Lego from my mum a while ago. I've been really good at getting rid of stuff that's superfluous to needs for the impending move, but the giant heavy box of Lego is staying, dammit. :D

15. iGav macrumors G3

You wouldn't say that if you were on the losing end of a competition that we once had at primary school, which was to transport an egg, as far as possible, without breaking it with a 1 metre slightly inclined rolling start. :D

Yer' funny coloured boring bricks wouldn't have helped ya' then. heh. :D

16. Lau Guest

Eh, shut yer face.

;)

We had a similar competition at school where we had to transport a small tin of baked beans across a paddling pool. We were given balloons, sticks and bits and pieces to do it. Me and my friends weren't getting anywhere, but then my friend remembered that her brother had told her that if you run a condom under the hot tap you can stretch it over a telephone box :)p ), and so we ran a balloon under the hot tap, and managed to fit the tin inside it, and blew it up. Booya. Floated like a dream. Nice bit of simple design, if you ask me. :)

And that, kids, is why you should listen to dirty stories at school. I've never tried a condom over a phone box though. :D

17. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i gotta agree, Technic rocks man! that, and the old skool Space Lego.

and Chundles, thank you for stating the plurality thing, everyone here in the US says legos, and it drives me nuts! so to actually know that the Lego Co has stated this too, makes me happy :) i always told people they're "Lego bricks" if they want to add an "s" which people seem to want to do all the time.

anyway, i'm off to check out that auction :)

18. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

19. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

new cumberland, wow you're pretty close to me... sorry, we've got a huge tub of LEGO™

20. bartelby macrumors Core

I recently went to visit my parents and my mum told me she'd given my LEGO to my 7 year old nephew. I was gutted, she could have told me she'd shot my dog and I'd have been happier!

21. iGav macrumors G3

Steal it back... one brick at a time... that way he'll never notice. ;)

22. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm sorry to say it, but I think yor dad was right.

You should have split the lot, maybe not into individual kits, but at least into 5-10 lots, each with a theme (e.g. the Pirate stuff). [I wouldn't buy a $100 starting bid listing from you with your limited feedback, but I would probably be more likely to risk 10-$20, and I might not want all the sets].

Another comment is that the pictures you supplied, don't give enough detail to see the individual sets well enough. Another beneift of smaller sets...

B

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

That's why I just took mine. My mom asked if she could keep them and I just had to tell her no. I'm glad I did because I've probably played with them more in the past 6 months than I have in the past 6 years.

24. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

You could have checked the prices on the bricklink marketplace.

http://www.bricklink.com/

Real cool site with thousands of LEGO sellers from around the world. Easy to search if you know the set number or the collection it was part of.

As an example, the first item on your list, "6090 - royal knights castle - royal knights", sell for between $93.10 (used, good condition, no box) to $279.99 (New in box, never opened). Link

You could make a fortune out of those LEGO. ^_^

25. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Your dad is right. Selling them a few at a time (i.e. start the listings a few days apart) will more likely get your more money because the supply appears to be less to a consumer -- therefore they bid up whatever is actually available.

Starting price should be very low. A high starting price discourages bids, which isn't what you want. The reserve should also be relatively low. Set the reserve just higher than the minimum amount that you can bear to part with them for...just enough to make sure that your time spent listing, packaging, and shipping the sets is justified. I don't like high-reserve auctions, and most bidders don't either.