Need another car

Discussion in 'Community' started by EJBasile, May 26, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

As i stated in my previous thread "What kinda car do you drive?" i said that gas in CT is over $2.00 a gallon so I am think of buying a second car with better gas milage than my Range Rover (12/17mpg). Here are some cars I like...

-Lexus IS 30k+
    -Mercedes C320 4Matic 40k+
    -Audi A4 S4 40k+
    -Audi A4 3.0 32k+
    -BMW 330xi Sedan 35+
    -Jaguar X-Type 3.0 35+

2. dopefiend macrumors 6502

3. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

It seems to me that if you can afford cars like that then $2 gas shouldn't be a problem. ;)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you want decent mileage, look at...

Mercedes E320 CDI $50+k EPA Fuel Economy 27/37

VW Passat TDI $25+k EPA Fuel Economy 27/38

VW Jetta TDI $21+K EPA Fuel Economy 38/49 (manual) 33/44 (auto)

That is if you don't mind giving up gasoline...

5. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    ^
    lol agreed,

those aren't even the best in fuel economy... i've been looking at the S4, and i think it's rated at around 17/25 (Tip) & 15/21 (6s)... my friend has one, and he gets an average of 20mpg, which is still better, but he uses 91 exclusively ($2.67/gal by my house). the IS does alitte better.

6. iGav macrumors G3

BMW 530d... it's a corker, and whoops a 530i into next week, it also has the same torque as a BMW M5, but at half the RPM. ;)

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But we don't get those or the AMG CDI either. :(

Until the E320 CDI came out for import, the only Mercedes diesel vehicle we could get locally was the Sprinter Van (which is less expensive at the International truck dealership than the Dodge Dealer, aka no Mecedes badge) -- and I doubt he wants something BIGGER than the Range Rover.

8. iGav macrumors G3

:eek: :eek: :eek: the U.S. really needs to embrace the torque funland of the TDi... :D

What about a BMW 330d?? or if you're really wanting a TDi... how about an Audi A8 Twin Turbo TDi, the fastest roadtested TDi 'Autocar Mag' has EVER configured. Vroom Vroom! :D can't you get them on imports?

Failing that... I'd go with and S4, not exactly frugle though, but damn are they fast... :D

9. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

gee, you sure wanna kill the planet as much as you can. you have a gas guzzling range rover and now you want yet another car. you might as well start burning chemicals in your back yard just to show your real dedication to killing the planet. also, none of those cars you picked have good milage. a car with good milage is a hatchback. but I guess a hatchback doesn't have a yuppie image huh? better go with the one that burns more fuel just so you can feel better about yourself.

sorry if this sounds rude but its all so wrong and no one even sees it.

10. iGav macrumors G3

in all fairness... you can only drive one at a time. :eek: :p

it could be worse though... there are many a rumor that in the next facelift for the Rangie, an Aston Martin V12 might be squeezed in... dirty... so very, very dirty! :eek: :p

11. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Excuse me Mr. "Rude" but YOU do not realize that here in New England where you get 4ft of snow it may be nice to have a car with 4 wheel drive and more than 1" of ground clearance

Just to let you know,
    SUV driver

12. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

just another excuse. sorry but I don't think thats a valid reason. anyway, I was just expressing myself and my views.

13. Wash!! macrumors 6502

Get hybrid

It will give you the Yuppy status and better gas milage also if you need and SUV wait until ford or lexus puts on the market their Hybrid SUV, I certantly will be looking and the Ford the Scape according to then will give you 50 to 60 mpg and on an SUV is amazing...
    :cool:

14. kevin49093 macrumors regular

I hear just the other day that the Escape is going hybrid next year. (anyone know if this is true?) It is actually a nice SUV to drive, and with the good milage you get out of a hybrid engine, might be the way to go!

15. dopefiend macrumors 6502

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Where does 50-60 mpg come from?

Even Ford says they're looking at 30-40 mpg target.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/escapehybrid/faqs/index.asp?bhfv=7&bhqt=1&bhqs=1#faq3

17. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Question: How much HP does a hybrid have...

Hypothisis: I think hybrids will have low horse power.

Toyota Prius- a whopping 76hp ooohh
    Ford Escape Hybrid- 133hp

Conclusion: How much HP does a hybrid have... = NOT MUCH

18. Wash!! macrumors 6502

That's only the gas engine

The total overall performance is the same of a V6. Then again your are looking for better gas milage, plus you live in the US with one of the best road systems in the world, I would understand it if you live some where in South America where you have to go thru the jungle literally to get somewhere... People like you are the ones that eat all the resources there is only 30 more years projected oil reserve left in the world and then what?

It is time to start thinking green... :rolleyes: :D

19. kevin49093 macrumors regular

I think the site said that the electric engine can give you an extra 95 hp. You add that to the gas motor hp (133) and you get 228 hp. Granted that extra hp only kicks in when needed, but the majority of your driving probably doesn't need more than 133 hp. I'm not a big car person, but that seems alright to me.

20. Wash!! macrumors 6502

21. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    Yeah, i can see it now..

The Fast and the Furious 3 - Drag Racing Hybrids.

Not everyone is caught up in having the MOST HORSEPOWER ON THE BLOCK mentality. let me guess, you'd rather drive a V8 Chevy, Ford? :rolleyes:

Having said that, I've sat in the Prius, and it accelerates better than my Acura (~140hp). It's lighter than the escape and more aerodynamic, so in theory, the weight savings alone could close the gap in horsepower, that's not including when the electric motor works in conjuntion with the gas motor.

Conclusion: you've never driven a hybrid, probably never sat in one. Will probably never own one. :)

22. Dr. Zauis macrumors member

If you're worried about gas mileage and prices you should try compresed natural gas. You can get a conversion kit for you current car and buy a kit that hooks up to the gas line in your house so you can fill up at home. And it costs about $0.90 to energy/gal of gasoline.

23. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Sorry for not stating this before but I am not looking for a car that gets 50mpg. I am looking for a car with decent gas mileage compared to my Range Rover, that is nice and sporty. It seems you people are very critical of SUVs. Volvo XC90 gets up to 26mpg, same with the nissan murano according to my friend (yes they are both car-based i know). You people should be happy I am looking to by a car and that will "help save the environment". It is not that SUV drivers don't not like the environment, we have our uses. Most people around where I live have at least 1 SUV. My fathers Chevy Suberban gets 13mpg. A person I know with a dodge durango got the same gas milage (probably becuase of engine size story).

Does anyone else other than me drive an SUV??