Need another hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MrVegas, Aug 16, 2005.

1. MrVegas macrumors regular

I have the dual 2.0 G5 with 160 gb hard drive.
    I need another drive at least 250 gig.

Any recommendations?

2. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

For an internal drive I like the Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA (5 year warranty) or the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 7200 RPM

Watch out for the lowest price advertisers. Those will be OEM's or "pulls" with zero or one year manufacturer's warranty. Your REALLY WANT the full warranty, 'cause every hard drive in the world will fail eventually.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

G5 has two internal ATA bays. Mine are 250GB and empty. I have an external Lacie tri interface 250GB too. :)

5. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

personally i like hitachi drives. they have huge drives (now at 500gb) apple uses them and i mean what the heck 250gb today 500 tomarrow. the more you have the better really, future proof! however they are expensive :(

6. fire365 macrumors newbie

Lacie

I would go with the LaCie I have the tripple interface and I love it the firewire 800 is great when I am transfering stuff from my friends powermac I am on windows right now but am going to be getting a powerbook for college in a few weeks and let me say if you do things like photoshop or audio mixing its great it will give you a nice speed boost if you have the files on the Lacie and the program on the main system drive. I have my 200GB Lacie and I love it and I think you will too plus they are built like tanks.

7. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I use this Simpletech external HD; it has both Firewire & USB 2.0.
    I use it primarily for intermittent backup of files & I've been happy with it thus far.
    Very unscientific, single-user experience with a duration of only months, but I can say that I haven't been unhappy! ;)

8. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

10. MrVegas thread starter macrumors regular

thanks all for the great advice!

i'm leaning towards the 400 gig Seagate

11. Ph4lynx macrumors member

ehh if you are looking at the 400gb seagate just bite the bullet and go with the 500gb Hitachi