Need Apple ROM to boot from CD still?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by nmerriam, Dec 7, 2003.

1. nmerriam macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting a "cheap" dual G5 in january, and figuring out ways to reduce the cost as much as possible, but I've been away from the Mac world for a few years.

I already own a Panasonic A06 DVD+-R drive that I have on my windows system. Since eliminating that would save $200 from the G5, I'd like to, but since it can only have one optical drive I need to be able to boot from it for recovery. Apple used to have special ROM in CD drives that were necessary to boot but I don't know if that has changed -- will i be able to drop my existing A06 drive into a G5 and have it work exactly the same as if Apple shipped it to me with a 106?

Another possibility would be if a G5 can boot from flash media (with a USB2 or Firewire reader) since I have a few old 1Gig Microdrives lying around. I know you can boot from an iPod and would think that a firewire/USB2 drive should "look" the same to the system.

Thanks!
    Nathaniel

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can boot from most optical drives, check out the compatibility database at www.xlr8yourmac.com just in case. As for booting off of flash media, it would have to be a Microdrive just to hold OS X, but even then, I doubt it would work.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

sorry to burst your bubble but you cant drop the drive completly, you can only downgrade to a combo drive.

iJon

4. nmerriam thread starter macrumors newbie

Unbelievably enough, there is a $200 difference between the combo drive and the Superdrive.

Considering the A06 drive itself costs less than $200 at RETAIL, Apple is really making a killing/ripping people off (depending on your POV).

It sounds like there is no longer the special ROM necessary to boot, so I'll save myself a few bucks by downgrading my order -- thanks!

5. phreaker57x macrumors newbie

Re: Need Apple ROM to boot from CD still?

I'm sorry for going off topic, but I didn't know you can boot from an iPod. Is there anywhere I can look to find more information about this?

Thanks

6. nmerriam thread starter macrumors newbie

Re: Re: Need Apple ROM to boot from CD still?

Google is your friend :)

http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/archive/topic/1238-1.html

"Just download Carbon Copy Cloner, uncheck everything except the base system files (unless you want them and have space, of course, but I did this on a 5gb) and give it a GOOD long while to do that. It looks stuck at the end, but it just takes a long time.

Plug in the iPod, restart, holding down option. The screen comes up to select a boot disk. Choose your iPod, and it's over.

It doesn't affect any of the "iPod" functions....mine still works perfectly."

7. phreaker57x macrumors newbie

Guess we learn something new everyday. :p

Thanks for the link.

8. agdickinson macrumors member

Carbon Copy Cloner

Hi,

Where can I get Carbon Copy Cloner from?

Cheers

Andrew
    :)

9. agdickinson macrumors member