Need assistance - messed up color profile?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Squonk, May 17, 2006.

1. Squonk macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2005
    Hi y'all!

I'm having a problem with my 15" Powerbook (1.25GHz w/1.25MB of RAM) which is running 10.4.6. In my main user account, I've screwed something up related to how the colors are used for this user account. I do not have any idea how I did this. I have played with the Display Calibrator Assistant without any sucess of curing the problem.

When the user account is logging in, the colors are displayed just fine. The dock appears, the menu at the top appears, the icons appear on the desktop and then the next step of loading for this user account is applied and wham-o, the colors go all crazy.

I created another user account and set the same background picture and in this test account, the colors are normal. Therefore I know that the problem is localized to the one user account.

I have attached screen shots of the normal and abnormal desktops to illustrate the problem.

Can anyone tell me what I did and/or how to correct the problem?

Thanks much!!!

2. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Ummm.. I don't see a difference. When you take the screen shot it doesn't adjust the colors so they will look the same.

How messed up are they? Just like washed out, tinted wrong or are they completely inverted or black and white?

If you want us to see how it is messed up you will need to take a picture with a a camera.
  3. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2005
    Doh! I should have realized that was the case - the pictures are the same, it's the profile that displays them improperly.

I'll shoot pictures with the camera tonight when I get home from work...

Here is a description of the problem:
    The brushed metal os elements are washed out like an overexposed photo.
    Otherwise, the screen looks darker and oversaturated. I know I'm not describing it very well. They are definately not black/white inverted.

Anyway, if there were some files that I can delete in the one user profile to reset how colors are being altered for that account, I'm thinking that would fix it.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    In the meantime, maybe check the Contrast settings in the Universal Access pane of System Preferences. :)
  5. Squonk thread starter macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2005
    Brilliant! That was the problem. :D Thanks so much!!! I know that I was fat-fingering the keyboard at some point...:eek: