Need Book Recommendation on Administering UNIX servers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

I need some recommendations for books that deal with admiistering UNIX/Linux servers from Terminal. Are there some particularly good ones anyone has read? I am a beginner in UNIX, so I need something not overly complex.

Thanks in advance!

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

uhm... are you going to admin a server or do you just need to learn to use linux? as in.. using linux.

for one.. i'd make sure you understood how to navigate the command line and how the system actually worked before i even remotely began to think about putting my computer out there on the internet.. it's only as secure as it's admin.. and if you don't know anything, guaranteed you will be subject to an owned machine. think about that before you try it.

secondly... i recommend anything from www.ora.com ... however the best way to learn is simply to use it... www.linuxdoc.org

3. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

The former - I need to administer a Linux server.

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

yikes.. if it's for a job... i recommend taking some classes or something and get certified for the distro you'll be using... otherwise that server is likely to get trashed if you open it up to the world .... just my advice man... hire someone qualified .. if it's an internal network that's one thing.. but if it's going to be a webserver or open to the internet.. you will probably regret it.