Need Buying Tips For Buying A G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xJus10x, Aug 26, 2004.

1. xJus10x macrumors regular

I'm 14, but I think I'm getting a job soon and want to know if there is any great deals on a G5? Please help me find the cheapest deal possible!

2. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

How cheap is cheap?

3. aphexist macrumors member

Being that you are 14, your chances of getting a job that pays more than minimum wage are slim, so unless you want to be saving up for a very long time, I would consider the following alternate solutions:

+ Swipe your parent or guardian's credit card. Develop justification for your purchase by claiming that "you need it for school."
    + Sell one or more internal organs
    + In addition to your day and night jobs, consider setting up a lemonade stand on the sidewalk outside of your house. However, instead of selling lemonade, sell the neighborhood children to the Russian black market
    + Build your own G5 out of recycled aluminum cans, cracker jack prizes, and pure, unadulterated determination.
    + If all else fails, get cancer or other terminal disease, and submit yourself to the Make A Wish Foundation. Make a wish for a G5. Die.

Hey, just kidding! Just so you know, I am going to hell for this post.

4. belair macrumors 6502

belair

Give us some info here!
    What will you need your macintosh for?
    If its just for word, itunes and mail get an ibook! If its for gaming, get a playstation or an xbox.

Now if you need a G5, get a dual 1.8 rev a G5 refurbished.
    They are about 2000 dollars at apple stores right now.
    Great computer, great value, and if you get a refurbished one you are shure that theirs nothing wrong with it.

This thread is alive. It's alive!

5. aus_dave macrumors regular

You probably are but it was a pretty funny post all the same :D.

Do you still get paid to give blood in the US? Just a thought...

6. Pum macrumors newbie

G5 2.5. fan noise

Hi,

I use a pretty noisy G4 quick silver and think about getting a G5 2.0 or 2.5 dual. I heard different reports on pretty loud fan noise going on and off
    for a few seconds from the new machines.
    So I dont know how much "impovement in silence" I get from buying a new machine. Any experience/advice ???
    Thanks
    Pum

:confused:

7. belair macrumors 6502

belair

I had a G3 until a month ago and it was pretty loud. And the nois was continous.
    My new 2.0 G5 is real quiet in comparison. When putting it to hard work the fans spin on but only for a couple of seconds, and now that the weather is pretty cold it's even quieter.

8. supergod macrumors 6502

I'm 16 and I needed a G5 for recording since I can always expand it quite easily as I do more complicated things, but as great as it is, I would much more highly recommend one of the new iMacs. At least with an iMac, you're guaranteed to get a good screen and with the current Cinema Displays featuring a garbage lowend and ridiculous price, that's more than I can say for my computer (currently shopping around for a cheap LCD). If you do buy a used G5 though (and this would be a much better option than new), I would go for the SINGLE 1.8. Nobody liked these computers because they costed way more at the time than the 1.6 (the one I ended up buying) and very little less than a dual 2.0. You can find a good deal on one of these suckers and use the money you save to put in a gig of RAM and a new graphics card (at least the 9800 if you plan on doing any gaming).

9. Koree macrumors 6502

My G5 is pretty quiet, and sound editing doesn't take that much cpu power (well depends on how heavy) so the fans will be pretty quiet. Though when you turn on the computer, and wake it up, it roars! (fans being tested)