Need Digital Camera. Help..........

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by senseibiz, Jun 5, 2004.

1. senseibiz macrumors regular

Hi everyone, I am looking for a digital camera. so far I have narrowed my search to the cannon Powershot G5 and the cannon Powershot Pro 1.
    does anyone outhere have any of these cameras. please help me choose.
    your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thank You.
    Sensei

2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Best advice I ever got was to handle each camera you are thinking of and operate the menu buttons, shutter buttons, etc and see how each fits your hands as well as your thinking- some menu's can be so confusing to some people. I remember trying to figure out a Kodak menu once and could not do it., I picked up a sony and it just seemed intuitive so I bought the Sony and have never looked back!

good luck

Johnny

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

You beat me to it - this is the ultimate resource for digital cameras. You can do features search, side-by-side comparisons, and learn everything you could possibly ever need to know about the leatest and greatest digital cameras on this site.

Personally, I highly recommend Canon as well - I just picked up a PowerShot S410 in New York last month and I absolutely love it. It all comes down to what you plan on using it for, etc. though, as is the case with any purchase I suppose!

Give us an idea of what all you require and what you'd like to be able to do and I'm sure we could provide you with some additional feedback based on your requirements. :cool:

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

another vote for dpreview.com

as well as another vote for canon. i have an a60, and it is an incredible value. I feel canon's other products fall in the same category. good luck!

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Oh, and I like your other link too - it never ceases to amaze me all the crap mentioned in Leviticus! According to it, we're not even allowed to go to the bathroom... ;)

6. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

I have a Canon PowerShot G3, PowerShot G5, Digital Elph S400, and will soon be getting a Digital Rebel or Pro1

My PowerShot G series cameras have consistently been the best I've ever had! I can only say good things about them, truly. Only get the Pro1 over the G5 if you need to print very large but very high quality digital photos (since it's 8megapixels) or you absolutely need the 7x optical zoom. Keep in mind, it just came out so finding lower prices out there will be tough, but you can get great deals on the PowerShot G5, I highly recommend it. But then again, you can never go wrong with Canon, so it's great to see that you're going to choose them! :)

7. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

8. senseibiz thread starter macrumors regular

First of all, let me say thank you to all. I currently own a Powershot s10. This camera is only a 2.1 MP. I take alot of pictures of my kids, family, vacation, etc. the camera I have now is good, but I have lost many pictures because some came out blurry, low light and so on. I need to upgrade to a better one. I basically need a good camera that does it all. I know the Powershot pro is a bit pricey, but I am willing to pay for it, as long as all my pictures come out perfect.
    I am looking for a camera that takes pictures fast, great zoom, easy to use, and that takes great pictures on low light.

I post my pictures on .mac, I also print them to sent to my family in
    florida.

I have found great bundles on ebay what do you think of this one
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48539&item=3820084625&rd=1

as of now I am looking to purchase the Pro 1.
    any more suggestions welcome.
    once again thanks to all...

9. sambo. macrumors regular

sambo.

my two cents.......

the advice about having a play with different cameras is very good. being able to use a camera comfortably and without always having to look at the dials is a great aid to getting better pix. you are concentrating on the picture, rather than the means of capturing it so to speak.

personally, i have been a Nikon/Leica user for my whole photographic career. i have always found Nikons to be great bits of kit. i have never been too keen on Canon's, but thats just a personal preference, many colleagues use them and love them

look for megapixels in the CCD (at least 4), optical zoom (don't use digi zoom, ever) and lens quality.

lens quality is of extreme importance, i would only buy a digi camera with one of the following makes of lens: Nikon, Leitz (Leica), Schneider, Rodenstock or Carl Zeiss. there is no point having a 15 megapixel camera with the optical equivalent of a coke bottle jammed on the front.

also, budget for a BFO (thats Big F$@& Off) memory card, whatever comes as standard is too small. :D

10. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

These are all excellent points. One piece of advice I would add though is don't buy a camera that is too much for you. If you want professional photos, etc., then buy all means look at a Pro model, but for all intents and purposes, and for the average user who just wants nice pictures of his family, etc. on trips and the like, you don't really need anything more than 4 megapixels. With a 4 MP camera you can essentialy print out 8.5x11 pictures in photo quality, and you only actually require 3.2 MP (probably less) for 4x6 photo quality, the size of a normal photo. So honestly, I would never purchase anything with more than 4 MP, but that's just personal preference, and what my requirements are. Even on my S410, there are a lot of features I do not use, and with the higher-end models there are even more of these features! Things like white balancing, color correciton, ISO speed settings, apeture settings - I'll probaly never play around with these, so my camera actually does more than I need it to - I just need it to take good pictures. :)

Optical zoom is very nice, my camera has 3x which is definitely acceptable for everyday shooting. Digital zoom is a scam, don't even care about that - all digital zoom is, is cropping - something that can be done later when you're editing your photos. Having a digital zoom on on your camera is essentially useless.

And yes, a larger memory card is definitely required, because you'll be wanting to shoot (presumably) with the highest settings turned on (max resolution and superfine compression). Also, the more MP your camera is, logically, the larger each photo will be, eating up more space on on memory card. I bought a 256 MB card to supplement the 32 MB card that came with my camera, so now on the highest settings I can take about 140 pictures which is more than adequate. When I go on longer trips and fill my memory cards up, I just find an Apple store (even overseas there are quite a few), ask to use one of their machines, and dump all my photos from my camera to my iPod, wipoe the memory card and start shooting again. It beats having to buy that expensive flash card reader for my iPod! Plus, no matter if it's been in the Orient, Australia or Europe, I've always been able to find a store selling Apple gear which has let me do this. :)

Anyway, just some more food for thought. :cool:

11. Apple //e macrumors 6502

if you take a lot of indoor shots without flash,you might take a look at the canon 1s, with a stabilized zoom lens. its really ugly though, imo

12. MacManDan macrumors 6502

http://www.imaging-resource.com/ is an excellent website that has many many images shot from each reviewed digicam - so you can see the quality first-hand. The reviews are in-depth and very insightful (without being overly technically or boring).

Link to Pro1: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/PRO1/PRO1A.HTM
    G5: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/G5/G5A.HTM