need expert/genius...many strange behaviors on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by swingerofbirch, Jan 20, 2007.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Hi everybody, my iMac which I have had since Sept 06, is having more and more problems, and I'm starting to consider a full re-install. I am outside my 90 day phone support with Apple (I know I should get Apple Care, but I'm not ready to get it just yet).

For one thing, the computer seems to make more noise than when I first got it, just in terms of the all-the-time humming. I could be wrong, but it seems slightly increased. The first software problem was that Safari started crashing a lot. And it still does. Now PhotoBooth crashes quite a bit, and when it does I cannot force quit it from its dock icon, from the Apple menu, or from the activity monitor--the only option is to log out and restart. And then a few days ago, mail started hanging, where when I quit it stayed open, I could go back into and open windows, use it like normally, but the quit option was grayed out, and going to the dock icon and hitting quit wouldn't work. It eventually will quit using the force quit from the apple menu.

Also, Web browsing is now impossibly slow. I've checked my connection speed, and it's fine, but opening web pages is about twice as slow as it was over dial up. This holds true for both Safari and FireFox. I tried entering the DNS numbers as is commonly reccomded here, with the same results.

The final thing is that in my users folder there are some really strange files. There is my home directory and various other users, but then there are files which are "mydirectoryname\System Requirements Lab\SRLProxyE.dll" (that's actually the file name, not a directory listing, the backward slash is in the actual name, and mydirectory name is actually my user name). There are three others which instead of E, end with F, G, and H. There is also an empty folder called "mydirectoryname\System Requirements Lab"

I have no idea what those are, but they sound like Windows files? I have never installed Windows on this computer though.

I have to wonder if it's possible to use a computer in such a way that you "junk" it up so much that it would start acting like this? It's complicated to explain, but I probably use the computer in ways that aren't typical. For instance, I have about 4,000 short quicktime audio recordings that I have made and store in one folder. I also have probably close to a thousand text-edit documents, and thousands of screen shots.....It's a long story to explain why I need to have those..but would storing so many files like that damage the hard disk? Like that the hard disk would have to write so many times each day each time I create an audio file or text-edit file and fragment the drive or strain the drive? I hope I have not damaged the hard disk through excessive use in that way.

I am thinking maybe I should back everything up and install fresh and only add back what I need on a day to day basis (which wouldn't be most of those files).

I much appreciate any insights anyone has.

EDIT: with other details, I have 33 gb free on a 160 gb hard disk, is that enough? Also web pages take up to 30 seconds to load.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

3. bitabytex macrumors member

That is a backdoor trojan for windows. Even though you might not be using windows on your machine, you possibly could have an emulator installed to run those files. Delete those files, and see what happens....If everything is still really slow, I would do what you said you might do.

Post again to tell us what you did to fix it.

4. teckman macrumors newbie

A fix, maybe

You might want to pull out your Tiger install Disk(my guess) and use the Disk Utility(DU) and try a repair of your harddrive. The DU is found under Utility menu in the menu bar. You start up just like an install, holding down the C key. Use the Repar Disk button and Verify and Repair disk permissions while you have DU open. There might something funky with the disk and as well as the permissions.

5. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

SO strange.....I have never used anything like limewire on this computer. I do get a lot of junkmail that has virus-y attachments and it's possible while quickly going through them to mark them as junk and then delete them that I accidentally clicked on a file. The only "seedy" app I use is Azureus to download bit torrents. All I ever download is episodes of Smallville (which I would buy if I could). So, I don't know, it's possible something came along for the ride with one of those files. I deleted them and the slowness is the same. I'm going to repair permissions and start shopping around for a back up hard disk. Thanks for the advice everyone.

6. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

I don't know if it was restarting Safari after deleting those files or correcting the permissions, but Safari is rendering pages pretty quickly now.

Does this from Disk Utility indicate someone else had gained control of my user? Does any of that look like it could be related to the trojan????

Repairing permissions for “Macintosh HD”
    Determining correct file permissions.
    Permissions differ on ./Library, should be drwxrwxr-t , they are drwxrwxr-x
    Owner and group corrected on ./Library
    Permissions corrected on ./Library
    Permissions differ on ./private/var/log/secure.log, should be -rw------- , they are -rw-r-----
    Owner and group corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log
    Permissions corrected on ./private/var/log/secure.log

Permissions repair complete
    The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I always get those kinds of responses after repairing disk permissions, it's normal on Intel Macs (well it is on the early ones anyway).

Do you use Microsoft Office Mac or CrossOver Mac by any chance?

8. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

Safari is definitely running at full speed now. No, I don't have MS Office. But I do have Messenger, Intellitype software (for the keyboard and mouse), and Flip4mac for WMV.

9. teckman macrumors newbie

Not likely. Hmmm, I don't know.

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Couple of diagnostic steps you can take

Repairing Permissions is good (your report, with a couple of entries, is normal)
    Also boot from the OS DVD, open Disk Utility under the Installer menu and run a Repair Disk on your hard drive.

Create a new User on the machine. Restart, using that User rather than you normal login. If the problems go away, then it is likely a problem with either the preference (.plist) files in your normal User/Library/Preferences or with some process that is set to start with your logon.

One solution is to start selectively dragging out from the Preferences folder to the Desktop the plist files of the applications that are giving you trouble and see if with a newly generated Preference file, the applicaiton behaves better.

If the problem still exists with the new User, then reinstalling the applications in question, or doing an Archive and Install of the OS X is the next step.