Need external antenna for G5 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by 8thMan, Mar 15, 2006.

1. 8thMan macrumors regular

8thMan

I really need just a bit more airport reception in my G5 iMac 1.8 (I've already tried reconfiguring the base station, reorienting my computer, etc. etc.). I've looked into the Quickertek external antenna, but I hate to plop down $100 for what is basically a length of wire. Are there other commercial products available for this machine, or could I even rig something myself? Thanks.

2. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

there is a large antenna inside the imac running up the side

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Have you considered an AirPort Express base station? Theyre great for extending wireless network reception.

4. 8thMan thread starter macrumors regular

8thMan

Yes, in fact I am using Airport Express. It serves the rest of the house well but my computer is a bit too far away. Not by much, though. I just need one more bar on the signal. Maybe I will go with the Quickertek antenna after all. It's a simple solution.

Maybe I'll just move my office into the attic.

5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I have to agree with lamina, get an airport express and use it for extending (or whatever it is called). Place it about half way between the base station and your computer. All should be fine.

6. Gerg macrumors regular

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

A directional antenna that you can point to the base station is what you need but is there a way to route the cable to the airport card and is there a connector on the card?

You could do the same at the other end too. Put a larger external antenna on the base station. they make antenna with different "patterns". Find one that fits you environment. I think the base station has a connecor for an antenna and that connector is an industry standard

One other idea is to Get an Airport Express. Two way to use it:

1) Use that in place of the internal airport. You can then connect the airport express to the computer with a long Ethernet cable, as long as needed. An added plus is that you'd have another place to plug in a printer and some speakers

2) You could also simply plug the airport express into an electrical outlet some place halfway between the computer and the base station. THe airport express will are as a "range extender".