NEED FCP HELP!! URGENT!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cwright, Aug 18, 2005.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

WHY DO I KEEP GETTING OUT OF MEMORY ERRORS??

I have a client coming by tonight to look at this project and FCP refuses to open the sequence. This has happened before, and it always seems to be right after I start adding photoshop files. (No, the PSD files are not corrupt). I've tried deleting preferences, re-installing FCP, etc. It still won't open the sequence!

When I double click on the project sequence I get the error "Not Found" first, and when I hit enter it says "Error: Out of Memory". I AM NOT OUT OF MEMORY, DAMMIT!

Can someone please tell me how to fix this?!?! Soon?? :mad:

Thanks...

2. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

4. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

no, 10GB free on the boot disk, but my FCP scratch disks are on the 2nd drive which has 90GB free... :confused:

5. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

have you tried logging out and back in.... that should close any apps that may be sucking down your memory in the background

6. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

7. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

I rebooted several times... and FCP is the only app open and I have 2GB of RAM. Shouldnt be a problem.

Can't find the Autosaves... seems I may have accidently deleted them when i was deleting the preference files :(

http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=8&postid=859506
    This thread is about the same problem I'm having... except what that poster said about fixing the problem didn't work for me :(

8. acohen macrumors newbie

I had the same problem!

Sorry to tell you bro I think your SOL I was told by a apple tech that OSX reqires a lot of EXTRA HD space (more than 10gigs) So i went out and upgraded the hard drive (250gig second drive) for really cheap and upgraded the RAM up another gig. And everything was fine after that... never seen that problem again. Then change your cashe to the new drive you should be good to go.

9. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I've worked on FCP when there is literally 500 MB left on my HD... you can try erasing things you don't need.. try and free up space but iono

edit: just saw you have a 90 GB scratch disc... space shouldn't be a problem.....

Also what version are you using? Have You updated to the latest version?

Do you have a laptop or another mac you could hook up to your computer and try running FCP off that?

10. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm just using version 5.0 right now... can't seem to get 5.0.2 to download from Apple. (OK I confess, this isn't exactly a legal copy of final cut... YET) I'll be buying my copy from the campus store once I get to college.

Anyway I'm pretty strapped on space on the system drive, since it's only 160gb, but the 400gb drive has 90gb free, so I figured that's all that would matter... right?

11. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

HHMMM (scratches head)

Ok, let's start from the begining.

You have a lot of RAM and HD Space, but what CPU are you using?

When you say your Scratch disk has 90 Gigs are you talking about the back up or have you set you Primary Scratch disk to the 90gig drive?

I run FCP 3 on a 400Mhz G4 with only 384MB of Ram and only a 10Gig HD. All of my files are on External HDs. Captures, Renders, Audio, Auto Saves, Everything...

How many layers of video are you creating?

12. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm using a dual 2ghz G5, 2gb RAM like you said.
    The FCP app is on the boot drive (160gb) which has 10GB free space. The scratch disk for FCP is the 2nd internal drive (400gb) which now has about 90GB free. And I'm editing about 3 layers of video and 2-3 layers of audio.

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Ummm... you are looking for support, you have a pirated FCP, you have a client coming in to look at a project which implies you are doing work for pay with the software.

Bzzzzt. Thanks for playing.

14. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Why is the 160gig so full? I've heard you need to keep about a 10% overhead free on your start-up drive.

Move a few gigs from it over to the 400gig. (20or 30 gigs)

Then Repair permissions and restart...worth a shot.

15. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

ive had this problem before many times. And it does indeed have to do with those photoshop files.

what I would try and do, is move those PSD files out of its current location, so when you load FCP5, it will need to reconnect those files. Thats the only way I believe to fix this problem. If this doesnt work, then you are more than likely SOL

for future reference, its best to use PNG files instead of PSD files in FCP. Thats something I learned a while ago. PNG files work just as well as PSD files.

16. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I fully agree with this. You don't pirate software and have a link to a website for a graphics/audio/video business and then come here looking for support. That said, I feel your pain cwright - I've had hard drives go out a few hours before client meetings - not a good feeling. Explain the problem to the client, fix the hardware problem, buy a LEGAL copy of FCP and either salvage your project or recreate it.

17. iris_failsafe macrumors 6502

iris_failsafe

Save the images not as PSD but as TIFF or Targat. I have encoutered some problems with photoshop images and that is how solved it