Need for Speed Underground Mac?

Discussion in 'Games' started by AppleMatt, Feb 8, 2004.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I've spent most of my weekend playing Need for Speed Underground on my mates PC. It plays fantastically and the visuals are out of this world. His machine is fast, but no beast (2.1GHz, Radeon 9200 512MB RAM). Does anyone know of a similar game out or upcoming for Mac, I've looked around but they all look crap in comparison.

AppleMatt

2. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Sadly, racing games are pretty much non-existant on the Mac. Aspyr puts out the Nascar series, however, and Driver is out for Mac, but other than that there isn't really much worth mentioning. Reckless Driving is a very addicting game, however.

3. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Meh. NFS: Underground is only fun for the first 5 hours or so. After that, the same repetitive tracks and missions just get boring. The soundtrack is pretty amazing though. I would say that overall, you aren't missing much by not being able to play NFS: Underground

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The only racing game I've seen worth having is Cro-Mag Rally from Pangeasoft. :D

F1 Season 2000 is a little behind the times these days but at least it's available.

There is a version of Wipeout from one of the smaller publishers, which looked good.

5. encro macrumors 6502

encro

Wow, that game surely is incredible with almost no objects on the playfield, basic sound and poor graphics (Did I mention repetition?).

If it wasn't for the fact it was a kids game I would have dissed it by now :rolleyes:

6. cc bcc macrumors 6502

NSF Underground is really great, too bad such games don't exist on the mac. Nascar is boring, the others are ugly and boring..

7. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

Racer is still early in development, but it's free

Ambrosia has a new racer in the works called Redline which looks like it might be pretty cool.

8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It has absolutely no pretentions of being something it isn't. It's a cute, silly game that's more about giggles than gigabytes. What's the harm in that? :D

9. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Feral Interactive have a new game out as we speak/as I type...

...Total Immersion Racing.

Find out more here.

:D

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Need For Speed....... for me the only reason I once had a PC :p

Ever since NFS 3 I was in love with that game. I also bought NFS 4 Road Challenge (=High Stakes), and NFS 5 Porsche 2000 (=Porsche unleashed).

My whole PC config was built around those games:
    P3 with Voodoo 5 5500 AGP (was pretty cool then ;) ), Microsoft's USB FF-Wheel..... etc.

PC died though. Too many high speed crashes :D

A couple of years ago there were rumors about NFS 5 (Porsche Unleashed) for Mac: Check this out!
    But to no avail.... :(

I love my Dual G5, and I really enjoy gaming, especially racing games. Got the lot (I think): Nascar 2003, F1 2000, Total Immersion Racing, 4X4 Evolution, tried Racer... Got the Logitech MOMO FF wheel, Radeon 9800 Pro.... but.... the best racing game IMHO is not there: NFS. I must admit that the game play of NFS 3 and 4 were the best: Race while being persued by the cops. Total fun!

If only, if only, anybody were to port NFS Underground to the Mac. I would pay a gr8 deal for it!

I'm waiting..... ;)

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

For $300,000 or so, I'd be happy to do it. :D

kiwi_the_iwik:

Feral Interactive does good work and Total Immersion Racing looks good. Now, if I was patient enough for the demo to be downloaded...

12. cubist macrumors 68020

EA doesn't sell any Mac games.

NFS Porsche Unleashed, on the PC, has the best physics/realism of any racing game I've ever seen. But EA has some kind of obsession with never making anything for the Mac.

Just installed Spy Hunter, but that's more of an arcade game than a racing simulation. (And it's pretty hard, too! I'm looking forward to getting better at it!)

13. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Re: EA doesn't sell any Mac games.

The reason why Aspyr does the porting of some EA games to Mac. Just wished they did (any) NFS too. :rolleyes:

14. encro macrumors 6502

encro

true :) I just wish that pangeasoft had got a bit more creative with it though.

Oh well, doesn't matter anyway since I never got my computer for games anyway :D

15. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

Bite your tongue! How can you SAY such a thing?!?

:p

16. benpatient macrumors 68000

you aren't kidding. Absolutely perfect driving dynamics...

It's the only game that's ever made me believe that it actually was fun, exciting, and sometimes scary to drive a 60 HP vehicle with a top speed under 100mph....the early 356s are just so COOL.

well, every porsche is cool. Heck, i loved the 914 races on that game...great stuff...

17. gopher macrumors 65816

18. encro macrumors 6502

encro

my bad :p

19. lewdvig macrumors 65816

Best racing game PERIOD is GT3.

PS2: $150
    GT3: $20
    GT4: $60

Gamplay: Priceless

On the Mac, you should get TIR or Nascar.

20. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

Re: EA doesn't sell any Mac games.

maybe youve never played gran turismo?

21. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Gee I must be old. Am I the only person here who ever played the original NFS Special Edition bak in what, 1997? Boy was that Ferrari 512TR fun to drive...

Graphics were low, so was sound (it ran on a Pentium 90 MHz without 3D card...) but the open road tracks were just so great. No going round and round in circles. Just full wack down the highway at 150+ mph slaloming between the cars. Aaaahhh, those were the days :(

22. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

I played it... and it sucked... I liked NFS 2 though.

23. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Well you may think that it sucked, but remember, it was 1997. You were what, 11? ;) :p

24. russed macrumors 68000

russed

NFS 2 rocked. i loved all the naff cheats you could put in so you could drive as a toilet or a tree or ufo! every time im home and at my decrepid PC i put it in and have a bit of fun! i know the like of GT3 are amazing but the ease of playing NFS2 just makes it fun!

25. cubist macrumors 68020

Re: Re: EA doesn't sell any Mac games.

I've played it, both GT2 and GT3 (on PS2). I like the car selection in GT, but physics- and realism-wise, NFSPU has it clearly beat.