Need Free Linux, Fast!

Discussion in 'Community' started by SAdProZ, May 4, 2005.

1. SAdProZ macrumors 6502

SAdProZ

Hello everyone. I figured there are some Linux heads lurking in here. I was hoping someone could provide a solution. The house computer keeps creeping up with spyware and adware to the point where its unusable and displays sick icons and pop-ups. I dont use the computer (powerbook here) but the windows machine upstairs keeps needing a reinstall every month or so. Obviously someone is accepting the wrong website permissions, and visiting the wrong websites in the first place. I figured Linux would be more resistant to ad/spyware. If this is true, anybody have the perfect suggestion for a free copy? It would have to have openoffice and be able to open pdf files.

2. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Umm...I'm not sure if these are all free or not, but a good place to look is here: http://www.linuxiso.org/

I know that Debian is definitely free, tho.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Almost every distro has a free version if you look hard enough. If you are just getting started though, start out with something that boots off a live eval cd, like Knoppix or Ubuntu. They should have OOO on them, and they can all read PDFs, I believe. The live CDs will also let you see docs on your windows partitions....

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Being that it doesn't seem you know linux too well, check out Red Hat or Mandrake.

Edit: I'm sorry, Mandrake changed their name to Mandriva or something like that.

5. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

I'd suggest Ubuntu. Free, easy to use, and well maintained.

MP

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    How about Knoppix of Gnoppix. No worries there about infestations. They run off of CDs

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Too bad there's no way to disable Internet Explorer and make everyone use FF...that would solve your problems a lot more easily. There isn't, though, is there? :(

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've tried downloading from fedora.redhat.com a couple times but the DL always stalled about 500 MB into the first CD. However, I think if you're persistent you can eventually get it to work. Most distros will send you CDs for $10-$50 or so; this may be your best bet for a serious solution.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Download Knoppix, which is a Linux Live CD, meaning you put it in the computer and it runs off the CD.

Once you tried Knoppix and know it, I reccomend Linspire - its original name: LindowsOS, and it was Windows, with a Mac-style, and a Linux core.

I.E., it has My Computer, My Documents, and always has the C:\ extention for the home root folder thing...

It is $50 to download but there are free activation codes out there... I downloaded it for free. PM me for more info.

10. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I had a good experience with Ubuntu. Check it out.

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Well, that doesn't sound real leagal.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah.... :( There is a legal live install of Linspire, although you will have to use a BitTorrent client to get it: Link

13. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

I'll give the third chime for Ubuntu .

The installation is a snap and only requires you to download one .iso.

It uses Gnome, which should be much more responsive on older hardware than KDE.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I know that this thread is a little stale, but for posterity's sake I'll mention that if you don't have the bandwidth to download your Linux distribution of choice, you can purchase CDs or DVDs for a number of popular Linux distributions from CheapBytes. I'm pretty sure that most (or all?) of the distros mentioned earlier in this thread are represented there. And note that you're not paying for the software, just a reasonable, minimal amount to cover their costs for the CDs, etc. For instance, it looks like they're selling the 4 CD distribution of Fedora Core 3 (my personal fave) for $8.99.

My colleagues and I have dealt with these folks many times in the past and they're good guys. As I said, it's a good, inexpensive way to get your hands on Linux if you don't have the bandwidth to download the ISOs for the distribution you're interested in.

15. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I mean that Linspire has promotional codes for money off of software, and I found one for $50 - I put Linspire in my shopping cart, it prompted me saying I can type one in, I did, and it said TOTAL BALANCE: $0.00 and I downloaded it...