need good surge protector for eMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Elizabeth4838, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Elizabeth4838 macrumors newbie

Dec 8, 2003

My three-year old iMac just died (cause unknown), and I bought an eMac. Got the thing all set up and noticed these scary static electricity blips every 15 minutes or so. Sometimes the screen would nearly go black for a split second. The blip was accompanied by a static sound. Ended up returning the computer and am now using a really old iMac in the meantime. Still seeing the blips, although not as frequently. I exchanged the possibly defective eMac, for another eMac but have not set it up yet. I'm now thinking that possibly all the problems are caused by a piece of crap surge protector. Does this sound possible? Any suggestions for a good surge protector for an eMac. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    the type that have a circuit breaker built into them are the only good ones, when it trips you need to reset it
    these are only the most expensive ones the regular ones are good for maybe 2 3 surges before they become basically a powerstrip
  3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Re: need good surge protector for eMac

Sounds like you might also have a grounding problem - i.e. the earth plug is not really grounded like it should be. A properly grounded outlet should take care of the static electricity problem.

This $6.00 tester from Radio Shack is a quick, easy and virtually foolproof way to check whether your AC outlets are grounded correctly.