Need Help — Merging iTunes Libraries

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

I need some help.

I have 2 iTunes libraries, and I want to consolidate their playlists but without actually moving the music files.

There seems to be no easy way to do this, and its very frustrating. I have to switch libraries to update different iPods, and I can't have music from one library on an iPod linked to the second library.

Please help???

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Why do you have two libraries, in the first place...? :confused:

You could try to Export the playlists from one library and Import those into the other. (Hint.) But that's not the best of solutions...

If you just want all the music from both libraries on your iPod you can just set it to manual update and drag all the music on to it...

To help better maybe you could provide a bit more information...?

- Where is the two libraries now?
    - Where are the music files now?
    - How are they organized now? Manual or automatic?
    - What is your main goal? One library with the music placed two places? Two libraries with the same music in it? Two libraries with different music in it?

3. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

I use Doug Adam's very nifty iTunes Library Manager to maintain multiple libraries. I have a couple of libraries that reside on large external FireWire drives, and the 2 smaller libraries that are on mobile FW drives.

Those libraries are in two different folders. I'd like one main library with the songs & playlists from both merged into one, but I don't want the music moved to one folder.

The goal is not to have to switch libraries when updating iPods. One iPod is linked to one library, another is linked to the other.

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Shouldn't be a problem... Open your main iTunes library, make sure the Keep iTunes Music folder organized in iTunes preferences -> Advanced is unchecked, and drag'n'drop (or use File -> import) all the other music files (from wherever they are) into the library. That way all the files stay at their original places but will be added to the library and can be synced to the iPod... :)