Need help, 10.2 install on beige

Discussion in 'macOS' started by joecool85, Oct 6, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Ok, so I got some 10.2 CDs, but they were scratcher. First the beige wouldn't even boot off it, then I used a cleaner/scratch remover and got it good enough so it boots from it, but when you go to actually install OS X and you click the Install buttonit starts to go and then gives me a "There were errors installing the software" message. Is this a problem with the disk or my computer? Its a beige G3 266mhz (the one in my sig).

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Is the powerbook in your sig old enough to boot off 10.2. You can try booting the pbook off it to rule out problems with your old beige G3. Or you can put the disk any either of the macs in your sig and verify the disk in disk utility.

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

It checked out ok in disk utility. The PB came with 10.2 on it and still wouldn't boot from the CD.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Most likely the disc has deep scratches that even a dust/scratch remover cant touch.

5. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

Man that suck's that you cant get os x 10.2 to install cause of the cd's. It runs awesome on these beige G3. altho a few things dont work like the volume buttons on the front,the a/v personality card,and the floppy drive but i found a driver that works so i can use the floppy its very rare that i do tho.
    Im still at G3 266mhz 224 mb ram 6mb video now have a dvdr/cdrw drive.to bad i had to send my 80 gig back. It took so long to get here the darn thing was doa. now i have to wait till they get it and they send me another one.
    My next buy is a 256mb pc100 sdram im on my way to geting this thing done up. os x runs fast on this not as fast as it would if i had a ati radion 9200 pci 128mb ram video card tho. Surfing is a awesome experience with safari no lockups and no crashes been on for 4 days straght.
    You can buy the install cd's on ebay for a good price i got mine for $19 flawless cd's and no they wasnt bootleg. I still need mac os 9.2 english full install cd or cd's cause i did get ripped off on one buy off e-bay the darn seller didnt post the right pic or the right info the cd was chinese os 9.2.
    He didnt say any thing about the installer being chinese only. Oh well good luck on installing osx 10.2 . I had big problems the first time i tryed to install 10.2 on this beige G3 AIO my strap setting on the hdd was set wrong.
    I needed the single master setting witch called to take out the jumper. i had it set to master/slave config witch on reboot after the first disk was done a screen came up saing can't open and kept on writing across the screen then shown the happy mac face then restarted and kept on restarting.
    I found out it was looking in the wrong place cause the jumper setting on the hdd was set wrong. Its all running good now there just somthing about osx 10-10.4 geting it to install right and running right even with xpostfacto. But any way good luck and always remember if you run into install problems try to reset pram, and open firmware by holding command , option o, f, and typing init-nvram press enter set-defaults press enter then reset-all press enter on the beige G3 its your friend cause reset-nvram command on the beige G3 dont work.
    nice site in your sig

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Do you have the install disks that came with your Powerbook? You can try those. I don't know if they are locked to a specific type of computer or not. I know the ones for the G5 are.

7. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

10.2.8 is great on my Beige 300MHz

I had to partion my Hard Drive (booted in OS 9) to the first 7.90 GB
    of the hard drive. Then use the remaining partiton for storage.
    Then installed 10.2, 10.2.6 and finally 10.2.8

I had a rough time with a worn out CD copy of 10.2.6 update and it hung up terribly during the install.

Make very sure your energy saver sleep setting are set to never,
    IF the disc does finally take and stalls, it won't be pretty.

I would have to buy a USB/Fire Wire card to attempt Panther or Tiger.

8. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

I have the disc, but its a DVD. No dvd drive on my beige :-( Otherwise I never would have bought discs, I just would have used it that way.

9. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

you can also go here
    if you need answers you cant get here for your beige

10. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Got it, all I had to do (after cleaning the disc some more) was pull the jumper off the hd. Also now that it is running 10.2.8 I have full USB support for the PCI card I put in there!

11. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

sweet you got it working . yea thats all the problems i had was the jumper on the hdd was set wrong i have also found a driver to get the floppy to work in os x cause the floppy dont work in os x normaly http://www.darwin-development.org/floppy/ download fdsrc-0.96.tar.gz or the other 2 you need to click on floppy ftp archive to download the three files i done a trial and error take on them your milage may very

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What do you mean that the floppy "dont work in os x normaly"? I have no problems at all with floppies in MacOS X.

13. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

The G3 will make a great back-up storage unit for much of your data.

You will have some problems with any software that requires 10.3 or later,
    but for the most part, you'll be in good shape.

I added a 120 GB HD to mine and still have the original 8.5 GB SCSI

I had a bit of a problem with a boot conflict between the two drives since I don't have a HD controller card.
    I was getting the file ? or the Grey screen of death with the cursor arrow.

I had to boot from the new ATA drive after disconnecting the SCSI cables and removing the SCSI card. Then lock the startup volume and shutdown.

Then while shut down, installed the SCSI Card and reconnected the cables
    and the SCSI drive mounted when I started back up.

It's great to hear that another legacy Mac is still up and running.

14. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

do you know there is a firmware update for the scsi card you got to where it wont conflict with installing os x. what i was talking about was the internal floppy drive not the firewire or usb floppy. i didnt have to update any thing to install osx cause i dont have a scsi card but yea you did good removing it during install if you didnt you would have a fun time trying to install without the firmware update the only thing that was required to install os x with a mac with the scsi card. a firmware update for the scsi card witch is at apple's site.

15. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I had installed that SCSI firmware update long ago.

I already had 10.2.8 running on my SCSI, but wanted to add the 120 GB HD and that's where I ran into boot conflict problems.
    Without a HD controller card the machine simply didn't know which drive to boot from. That's why I had to pull the SCSI gear until I got the 120 GB drive going.

I spent several days trying to figure out why I was getting nothing but the grey screen with the cursor arrow.

I got the questionmark/file icon on some boots and had to boot from th OS9
    disk when that happened.

This really became an issue when I was trying a semi-bootable
    Samsung combo drive.

I finally bought a Pioneer DVR-106 and it was fully bootable, but it
    was $130.00 at the time.

The big drag to the G3 is that it's not AGP capable even with a PCI card.
    AND that you must partiton your drive to less than the first 8 GB on the hard drive, even when you have a 120 GB HD.

I'd also like to pick up a replacement A/V personallity card.
    One of my RCA outputs was damaged thanks to a big, sweet, clumsy, German Shepherd tripping over the attached RCA cable.

I'd like to install a dual USB/F/W card, but it doesn't see wise to spend
    much more when a mini blows the G3 away.

I spent $2700 on the original G3 300 MHz mini-Tower new (education)
    It's stil hard to believe that I did so much on 64MB of RAM!

I added 256 MB RAM, Belkin 4X USB card, Radeon 7000, Pioneer DVD burner along the way so I've got about $3200 into that system.

It's a keeper, but I've spent enough.

16. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

17. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

ok go here http://fetchsoftworks.com/ and download this either for os 9.2 or os x its a real good ftp program ive had no problems running this on os 9.2.2 or osx 10.2 on my beige in my sig