NEED HELP: About to buy 12" iBook - scavenger hunt?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by corysnyder28, Nov 7, 2004.

1. corysnyder28 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,
    I'm located in NYC and am about to buy a 12" iBook and have a few questions.

Seems that Amazon, w/$150 rebate, is the best price for the base system. I'd like to upgrade the HD to 60GB, but looks like I can't do that on Amazon.

** Am I correct in assuming I can't upgrade the HD through Amazon?

Can I then use Apple's new-fangled price matching policy to have Apple match Amazon's price (including the $150 rebate) THEN buy the base system plus the 60GB HD (paying essentially Amazon's price + Apple's HD upgrade fee total)?

I'm going to max out the RAM, and figure I'll do that either through Crucial or newegg.

Newegg seems to be the cheapest, offering:

KINGMAX 200-Pin 1GB DDR SODIMM PC-2100'','' Model MSDD42D-KI Specifications: Manufacturer: KINGMAX Speed: DDR266(PC2100) Type: 200-Pin DDR SDRAM Error Checking

for $190

(http://www.newegg.com/app/viewprodu...-110&ATT=Memory+Notebook+Memo&CMP=OTC-dealram)

** Will this newegg RAM work on my ibook w/o voiding any sort of warranty?

** Speaking of warranties, is there any reason NOT to by Applecare from The Mac Support Center (3 years/$190)

(http://www.macsupportstore.com/product.asp?pf_id=M8852LL/A&dept_id=12)

Lots of questions! Thanks in advance for all your help!!

-cs

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

If you know of Apple's price match policy, how hard would it have been to go to their site and read it?

No, they won't match a rebate price. From their site:

What types of better-price offers apply to this program?
    This program applies to all better-price offers on Apple-branded software and hardware from any Apple Authorized Reseller website or store location offering Apple products for sale to customers in the United States. The item must be in stock and available for purchase from an authorized US reseller.

Apple is not obligated to match the competitive offer’s other terms, such as shipping costs, taxes, delivery methods, return privileges, or other services. Mail-in rebates, gift cards, frequent purchase programs, or any free or discounted items offered with the purchase of the product are not included. Offers from auction sites such as eBay are not included. We will not match typographical errors.

3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

rdowns in correct. It's the amazon rebate OR the opportunity to custom build - not both.

As for your RAM question, let me just say, be wary of going with the cheapest possible RAM. It looks like a good deal... until the kernal panics start! :eek: (of course, there is a risk with any RAM, and no RAM is *certain* to be bad... but I think going with the cheapest is asking for trouble.) No RAM will void your warranty though.