NEED HELP! About to purchase new mac!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Wano, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Wano macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    I just got enough money to get a new laptop, either iBook or PowerBook. This is not the typical iBook v. Powerbook thread :)
    I am getting Motion and I was thinking just to run it on the powerbook untill i can upgrade to a new system(probably not for another 1.5years) from my current Dual 1.25Ghz G4 with 1.25gigs of ram and 300gb storage which has the ATI Radeon 9000 which can't run Motion.

But, just tonight I began thinking maybe I should get the iBook and then use the money difference between that and the Powerbook to upgrade my video card to a ATI Radeon 9800 which will allow me to run Motion on my desktop at a much faster speed than the Powerbook.

Then, to add to the excitement, my girlfriend got a Powerbook three days ago(I switched her :D) and we live together so I think my iBook and I would be jelous and I would regret getting it....but then again I may completely appreciate it. I am just a tech geek and want the latest and greatest, but still use it to the fullest.

Soooo, what would you do? or I guess what do you think I should do?
  2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Me? I'd get the iBook and upgrade the PowerMac. That way, you'd have the fastest system (of your choices) and the lightest portable Mac. PowerBooks are great, but you've already got a PowerMac.

Well, no, that's the advice I'd give myself. What I'd actually do is buy the PB. But I can't defend that choice.
  3. jptrott macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2004
    Depends on what you need motion for?
    If it something you need working right now. I would upgrade the PowerMac. Save up for another month or two then get the PowerBook.

Or get the Powerbook now... then upgrade the Graphics card as soon as you can.

Think of it this way, have you every heard an one say,
    "Man i wish i would have gotten the smaller, slower, less upgradeable Computer"
    "Man i wish i would have got the faster, more flexable, more upgradable computer"

Besides sounds like your going to need the power if your using motion.
  4. Wano thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2002
    It's just kind of hard to convince my girlfriend to allow me to spend the extra money on the graphics card after getting the powerbook. But, then again I have seperate money for my own spendings...hehe. It would be nice to have that power on the road to, cause I am a film student so having my projects on my computer at school would be useful. Well, I am heading over to the applestore in the morning to check out the iBook before I make my final decision.
    Thanks for the feedback and I certainly appreciate it along with anymore that may come!