need help/advice ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cantthinkofone, Apr 1, 2007.

1. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Ok, so i'm in a world of sh*t right now. On friday night two friends and i took my truck down to a creek and went down a trail to a gravel bar by the creek. I was told i could get back to the road by the guy that was with me in my truck if we kept going down the gravel. About twenty feet off the gravel i got stuck. Hi-centered my truck. Nothing we could do about it since it was so late at night. The next morning another friend of mine with a bigger truck came and tried to pull me out. We ended up getting him stuck in the sand and gravel. After this we called a tow trucking company that is probably the biggest in town.

"C&C towing"
    "yea i need a tow"
    "ok where are you located?"

gave her directions since i didn't know the road number. And told her that i had two trucks stuck, and that the trail to the gravel bar was kinda ruff for the first few feet but after that you could take a car down it.

"ok its $75 service call to come out and look at it" and then she said something about not being able to get it, i don't remember what she said.
    "ok"
    "all right i'll send somebody out there now"
    "thank-you mam"

About twenty minutes later a tow truck showed up. We showed him the trail to go down. He started to go in backwards instead of front end first. I thought this was weird and not the best of choices but i wasn't the tow truck driver. He got stuck not ten feet into the trail. We spent the next hour at least trying to get him out with his wench on the truck. He gave up and called another tow truck.

At this point the locals had stopped and began watching. The guy that came with his truck originally to help me left to go talk with his dad about the situation. They build houses and have a back-hoe and a skid loader. He returned about 1/2 hour later with his dad, and the skid loader on a trailer.

The whole time he was gone, the other tow truck was trying to get the other tow truck out of the mud by using it's wench and using a snatch block on a tree down the path. This didn't work so my friend's dad got in there with the skid loader. it has tracks over the wheels and had no problem getting in there. He lifted the back end of the truck and pushed it forward and turned it around and pushed it out onto the road. After that he came down to the gravel bar and pulled the two of us out.

The two of us didn't have any problems getting back out of the trail since we both have 4 wheel drive. The two truck had really torn up the beginning of the trail and i almost got stuck again but made it out onto the road. I got out and walked over to the group of people. The owner of the land was standing there and wanted to talk to us.

He wasn't that mad about the situation, but wanted to know what we we're going to do with the mess that was made. the three of us that had been there friday night talked with him for a few minutes and agreed that we would call it even if we came back and put up a fence along the road with no trespassing signs along the fence.

After that i went up to the woman who brought out the second truck. She wasn't as polite and told me that she needed $500 or she was taking my truck. I was dumb struck by this and said i thought it was a $75 service call for me, and then another $75 for the other truck that came out. She told me no, she had to get her truck out of the mud, and it was $500, or she was taking my truck. At this point i couldn't believe what was happening to me. I told her i could get her $500 in about half an hour but she just turned around and yelled down to the guy with one of the tow trucks to load it up.

I said i was getting my stuff out of my truck and she became even more rude with me. I told her she could throw all the fits she wanted too but i was getting my stuff. I took my cell phone, wallet, key to my office at work, a stuff dinosaur (long story behind it but it means a lot to me, and it has never left the truck since the day it was put in there) and my hockey skates.

After that they left and we talked with the owner of the property. He gave us his cell phone number and told us to give him a call.

The point of this is this: Can't this be classified as profiteering? Or price gouging. She had to have known that i didn't have $500 on me. I asked her if she took AAA and she laughed and said "you think they would have gotten out there?" I almost said "no mam, they probably would have called you."

They NEVER touched my truck until the took it away. They would have been there for at least another hour if it wasn't for my friend's dad with his skid-loader. I don't have $500 to give her. I have a bank loan payment to make tomorrow of $200. I have $296 to my name right now, until i get paid on the 15th of this month. I'm willing to give her $200 and no more. I'm 20 years old so im not very well off to go in there and talk to her alone. I plan to talk to my father and ask him what to do but it needs to happen quick. Im sure she will charge me a impound charge for holding the truck. It's $40 a day. And by the time it's the 15th, there is no way i could afford to get it out, and pay the towing bill (that they NEVER did).

Sorry for the long post, but if you have any ideas on how to help me please say so. I don't know what to do right now. That truck is my only transportation to work and back right now, or any where else.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't give her ****. I think giving her the truck was a bad idea as well.

It's not your fault he went in backwards and got stuck alongside with you. You shouldn't even need to pay another $75 for the 2nd truck. They did nothing for you. Your friend's father did it. Tell them not to be in the towing business.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Not being up on Missouri statutes and tow operator rights, it basically sounds like the tow folks just got pissed and made up a number to bully you.

Now, whether that's classified as Robbery in this particular case (unlawful taking through force or threat) is debatable, and realistically unlikely.

Many tow operators are not the most straight-up business folks out there, and I wouldn't be shocked to find that they went over their permissable boundaries.

As much as this sucks, I would strongly advise obtaining counsel to (a) verify what the tow operator's rights and limits are as it applies to this situation, and (b) give them a call/write a letter to see if they're willing to come to their senses. Most folks don't like the thought of answering in court, particularly if they thought they could get away with bullying a 20-year old.

And on a "what have we learned from this" note, walk the trail before you drive it (I know, what's the fun?). And oh, yeah, never eat anything bigger than your head. ;)

I REALLY hope this works out for you - I've had "adventures" like that back in the day. All I'll say is that I'm glad the Statute of Limitations is past...

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Did you sign anything? Please tell me you didn't.
    Call the cops and tell them about the situation. There is such a thing as unlawfully towing another person's car.
    If that doesn't work, tell that towing company that you will write a strongly-worded letter to the local papers, and will contact the media. Poor advertising usually does it.
    Also, get a hold of the Better Buisness Bureau- they are chumps, but it could be used as a scare tactic as well. Good luck.

5. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Call your local PD (ideally this would have been done before your vehicle was loaded up on the tow truck). They might be willing to help (depending on the laws in your area).

If needed call a lawyer (you might be able to pick their brains over the phone).

7. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Thanks for the advice so far.

i didn't sign anything. but like i said, i was so dumb struck about the whole situation i couldn't think straight. I have thought about calling all the local media, and newspapers but this towing company is kinda big in this area. And they have a contracts with the police, highway patrol and sheriff departments.

i just talked with my dad and told him my story and he asked a lot of question about the whole ordeal. I guess we will go up there tomorrow and see what happens.

I was told by one of my friends that he and his uncle have been in there and she pulled a shotgun out from under her desk because a guy wasn't going to pay and was calling her all kinds of names. I never called her anything while we we're down there (not that she could hear). So i might have a shotgun shoved in my chest tomorrow.

That has to be against the law, i wont have any weapon on me, and wont make any threats. But the office is kinda like the mechanic shop off of "National Lampoon's Family Vacation" so thats about how far the law goes in that land they own.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

All sound advice. :)

I think that is exactly what I would be considering doing. :mad:

Sorry to hear about your situation cantthinkofone. :eek: I sure hope that everything works out okay for you. :)

9. adk macrumors 68000

adk

May I ask why you didn't just drive off as soon as she threatened to take your truck?

10. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

I'm calling bullsh*t. It is April 1, after all.

11. mantic macrumors 6502a

Quite a story..

I don't see where you owing them any money gives them the right to take your vehicle. I also don't see where you're responsible for their mistakes or actions.. It was up to their driver to make the decision on the attempt. He got stuck. not you're fault. They should be mad at the driver not you.

If this gets out of hand.. def contact the media and see if anyone else will come forward to being bullied or taken advantage of.

I'm very interested in the outcome of this so please keep us posted.

12. macmama macrumors regular

macmama

Ditto. Sweetie, call the police. You have a stolen car to report, and they're open 24 hours a day. I also encourage you to call a lawyer. You didn't sign a contract, and she didn't quote you that price originally. Hopefully you'll have your car out of there in the morning.

13. mantic macrumors 6502a

Exactly.. They would have never touched my car. Especially not before the police were involved.

You seem to have plenty of witnesses so there shouldn't be a problem with testomony.. They are holding your truck hostage.. that's all there is to it.

14. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Pick up the cards then. Why would i write up that big whole long explanation of my situation for a joke? I don't find the whole thing remotely humorous. If i get the chance, i'll take a picture of my truck behind their impound fence tomorrow. And i'll take pictures of the mess the tow truck made.

37°56'34.92"N by 91°40'39.12"W is about where the tow truck was. and i and my friend's trucks were at about 37°56'35.96"N by about 91°40'36.72"W

Have a look in google earth. not a very good picture but gives you an idea.

I didn't think of that. If i had of tho, it wouldn't have looked very good on my part. I would have had the police on my tail with in 10 minutes. My father said it was probably the best choice at the time. He also said that I'm at a very bad stand point. I told him I'm willing to give her $150 for the two tow trucks. He said thats good, but what if that doesn't work? Yea i can call the police but they probably wont do anything about it. I can call the better business bureau but it will take them long enough to investigate it.

He did give me one option i didn't think about. Offer the $150 to my friend's dad for driving out there, and pulling me out. And then my friend's dad gives a bill of $350 to the woman of the tow truck company for getting her tow truck out. They weren't doing a very good job about it when he showed up.

My dad also agreed with me that it was just a service call since they never touched my truck, or my friends truck. And that it should be $75 since i called the one tow truck, not the two tow trucks.

A Layer would coast me probably cost me about 3-4x the amount of the truck. Much less if i took her to court.

Good point about the tow truck driver. I'm guessing that my dad knows the people who work at this tow truck company since i told him the name of the first guy and he started describing him, and then named the woman's son who came out there too.

I am very strapped for cash. Back in january my insurance for the truck was due. Took a whole paycheck for 6 months. I may be 20, but at the time i was working part time at $8 an hour. And i was just now recovering from all that since i was borrowing small amounts of money from my bank to get by to the next pay day.

15. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

When I went to MU I worked a downtown business on East Broadway, or building was on a block with other businesses. Our business was alloted 2 back alley parking spots along with all of the other business owners on the block by the property management company. All businesses on the block had problems with people taking parking spots. A neighboring business called a two company to have a vehicle removed (not mine) the two company seized the wrong vehicle (mine) and left no notification of where the vehicle was taken. I ended up having to contact all the business owners on the block to see if they had mine or any other car towed. Our neighboring business owners stated that he had called the local tow company to have an old rusted out Civic towed but they haven't came yet. I got the companies phone number and they said they had my car - I tried to inform them that they have seized the wrong vehicle and all I got was sorry your bill is $250 + $50 a day storage.

I called the police and informed them of the situation and within an hour I had my car back and the tow company was fined $2500 for unlawful seizure.

16. mantic macrumors 6502a

Try not to stress too much.. I'm sure if you wanted to.. You could come out quite a bit ahead on this. They can't take your car for soemthing you never agreed to pay .. they never even serviced you.. he never even saw where your truck was stuck from what i can gather. I don't even think you owe them the $75 seeing how he never made it to the location..

17. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Glad to hear everything worked out ok for you. Calling the police is probably my last resort. I don't want to walk in there and start making demands. I would like to negotiate the situation. I will offer her $75 for the first tow truck, and then if that doesn't work, i will call the police. And hopefully they do something about it. I don't trust them one bit, but it's worth a try.

He could see where it was from the road, but he couldn't get to it. I'm sure technically he never made it to the location, but i don't think she will think that way.

I don't mean to offend any one, but i was thinking about somthing a few minutes ago. I kinda feel like this is my version of the BS that is going on with the british marines and sailors right now in iran. They we're taken with out question. My truck was taken with out question. And they have the upper hand right now. To bad i don't have the backing of the UN, NATO, and just about every other country right now :p talk about pressure.

18. mantic macrumors 6502a

You're missing the point.. It doesn't matter how she sees it. You need to go to the business with a lawyer.. Don't give them a chance to fix it.. I'd take them to court period.

19. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

I would call the police first thing on the morning with the way you describe the company it is just not worth the hassle and will cost you something (you and I both know they are not going to say "sorry, here is your keys we parked it out back - I hope you don't mind that we detailed it and filled up the tank for your troubles") . I would just call the police and enjoy the efforts of your local law enforcement's speediness.

If you wanted to get vindictive that is another matter:
    Talk to the property owner and fill him in on the situation while offering to do additional work in exchange for him pressing trespassing charges against the tow company. HeHeHe

20. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Why go to court the time and expense involved are not worth the trouble - call the police and contact the BBB

21. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Why? Calling the police takes about 10 minutes, and if they offer to help, you could save $75 plus a lot of hassle.

And if they don't help, it really doesn't matter when you called, so you might was well try now, so you can possibly save yourself some time & money.

You have nothing to loose! :)

22. cantthinkofone thread starter macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

i would love to call the police about the whole mess but like i said, they are in bed with this place. I live out side the city limits so wouldn't i want to go to the sheriff's office? I can only imagine how long it would take them to react. I will try tho. I really don't have time for sh*t like this :mad:

23. mantic macrumors 6502a

Just my opinion and what I would do in that situation knowing I had a case. What they did is rediculous and they know it... They probly just get away with it more times then not. This is not acceptable.. Even if he gets his truck back without having to pay.. they still got away with what they did and I personally would not let that stand. I don't want myself or anyone else to be taken advantage of like that!

I treat others like they treat me.. If they want to put me in a bind.. I will gladly return the favor.

24. mustard macrumors 6502a

mustard

Are you agreeing, dis-agreeing, or responding/questioning my post?

25. mantic macrumors 6502a

You asked "why go to court?" I explained my point of view.