Need help after installation

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Hockey Nut, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Hockey Nut macrumors member

I just instaaled an extra hard drive, and Pioneer DVR-105, in my new PM FW800 1.25. I can't find the HD or the DVD in my system.

Pressing the eject button does nothing for the DVR.

I installed the hard drive in the front bay, which I have seen suggested here so it is on a different bus.

I moved the combo drive to the lower optical bay, and installed the Pioneer in the upper bay.

The Pioneer and the combo show up in the Apple System Folder "Devices and volumes".

I'm new to OSX, so I'm sure part of the problom is that I can't find anything.

Thanks for the help.

2. Hockey Nut thread starter macrumors member

I had the HD plugged in wrong, fixed it , but still can not see the drive. I installed it in the bottom front bay, is this correct?

Two drives show up in the System Folder, i think I need to initialize the new drive, how do I do it?

The Pioneer is catching on the door opening. I'll have to try to adjust it, or carve the opening slightly.

Still need help on the hard drive.

3. Bear macrumors G3

Use Disk Utility in the Application->Utilities folder to partition and format the hard drive.

As for the optical drive. I think you haven't removed the front bezel from it. Look at the optical drive that came with your system to see what I mean.

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Do you have the drives set to cable select? You don't want them set to master or slave they will work best with the new macs set to cable select.

As for the Superdrive you will need to remove the cover plate from the end of the disc tray. This is commonly known for the Mirror Powermacs.

Did you research the installation and what it would take to get the Superdrive to be recognized at XLR8YourMac. If you didn't take the time to do so. There is not a more in depth base of research for macs, drives and compatibility any where.

5. Hockey Nut thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! you guys are right on both counts.

One more question. To I format it as Standard or extended. What is the difference. I don't want to partition it.

thanks

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Extended. Standard is the old format that was used prior to OS9. It's just there to give you compatibility if you choose with old old systems.

7. Hockey Nut thread starter macrumors member

Got it. It's working fine.

Thanks to all for helping me out.