Need help, Belkin Wireless Ac. Point with mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by sparks9, Mar 7, 2004.

1. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003

Can anyone tell me if a mac (running os 10.2) will be able to connect (with a wireless card of course) to a belkin access point (11 mbps) this one:

I'm not gonna set it up with a mac, the mac just needs to be able to connect to it/use it. It doesn't say on the website if it supports macs.

ANOTHER question:
    Will the same mac (a G4 alubook) be able to use a belkin wireless card (PCMCIA card) this one:, or does it need a original Apple airport card to run wireless. (It does have a pcmcia slot)

thanks, I hope someone can answer.
  2. sparks9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 29, 2003
  3. gfroyle macrumors member

Feb 8, 2004
    WAP with MAC

4. csean macrumors newbie

Apr 16, 2004
    Venice (the old one)
    Belkin access point - Mac compatible?

I too was looking at that very same access point and it looks like there's 2 different versions, with Version 2 being listed as fully Mac compatible: the PDF manual for download says "Works with both PCs and Macs. The access point supports variety of networking environments incl. OS 8.x, 9.x, 10.x, AppleTalk...". Also notes that it's configured thru a web browser; important, as some cheap WAPs need Windows software.

Pretty interesting re. Appletalk, as not many 3rd party units support that; especially given that it supports OS 8 and 9.

Sounds like an interesting unit. I've found it in Italy at 50 euro, which is not too bad for here.

NOTE: Belkin also has a USB wireless network adapter that has OS 9, 10.2 and 10.3 software for download. Priced at 25 euro.

And Belkin products have lifetime warranties. Sound too good to be true?

5. ftaok macrumors 601

Jan 23, 2002
    East Coast
    The Belkin item you linked is just an "Access Point". I would think that it would have to connect to a dedicated router for a proper network. Assuming that everything's in place, your AlBook should work no problems. The 802.11b/g is a standard and Apple works with it nicely.

As for the card, you're better off spending the extra money for an Apple Extreme card since you'll be able to use the integrated antenna built into your book. Having a PC Card wireless adapter is less than great since the antenna hangs out and can be snapped off if you're careful.