Need Help! bought Ipod mini last night

Discussion in 'iPod' started by misa1125, May 15, 2005.

1. misa1125 macrumors newbie

So yea, i bought an Ipod mini last night(silver for those who care), and when I took off the plastic wrap, i noticed a few scratches. There were 2 on the corner of the screen, and one 2cm scratch on the body near the wheel. I dont want to pay the restocking free to get a new one, i feel that its unfair that i paid 200 dollars for what looks to be a used ipod, when i deserve a brand new shiny scratchless one.

I called the apple store, and they said that the manager has to look at it to decide what to do.

Any advice? Thanks

btw, my ipod mini came fully charged, is that normal? or does that prove that it was used?

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Well if it is used, they will be able to tell if it was bought before. Are the scratches that big of a deal?

3. misa1125 thread starter macrumors newbie

umm, theyre not a huge deal, but i mean when im looking at my shiny ipod mini and I see a few scratches that i did do, it completely voids the shinyness.

Are you sure that they would know if its been used? Should I ask the apple store to look it up?

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Dude, 'not a big deal'? If I bought a brand new iPod, I would expect it to be spotless!

Yes, go back to the Apple Store and nicely ask for them to exchange it. If they refuse... Turn on your bitch side and use it for what it was meant for!

5. themacman macrumors 6502

was the box in bad shape at all. This is very intersting. You bought it from an Apple Store.

6. misa1125 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hell yes!!! I plan on going to the Apple store tomorrow and flipping out if they charge me a restocking fee for some scratched, possibly used ipod which i paid full price.

The box wasnt in bad condition, and yes i did get it from the Apple store.

7. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Be firm with them and insist that they replace it or give you something for the trouble. As for it being used before, IIRC iPods come partially (maybe fully?) charged, so that's not an indicator of whether they've been used before.

8. misa1125 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I went to the apple store, the manager took my mini to the back, used a buff cloth and got rid of all my scratches. I guess its better than paying the restocking free..and my ipod is now shiny once again :D

9. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

are you serious??

10. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Partially IIRC. Whenever I have opened up a box to get a new one out for display, it has either not been able to switch on, or has a small amount of juice inside. When you connect it up to your computer though it should start to charge before you even do all the software update and such, so there isn't ever much in there.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Glad it's sorted but if it had been used, most likely to have been a genuine error. The Apple Store in Regent St has a large table on Saturday evenings/Sundays with lots of 'reduced' returns etc on it - and there's usually a fair percentage of iPod mini's sitting on it with £20 or £30 off them - so they obviously have a normal route for getting rid of them.

12. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

We sell lots of returned iPods, (long story), most of which have been replaced so new, but a few just repaired. One thing to look out for is used earphones coming with them. Illegal to sell on something that could lead to cross contamination so make sure if you do buy a used iPod that the earphones, if there are any, are still sealed.