need help building ext. hard drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by notwist, Mar 17, 2007.

1. notwist macrumors regular

I have an old 120gig hard drive in my PC desktop I would like to put in an external enclosure for use with my MacBook. THe hard drive is NTFS. Am I supposed to format the hard drive, then place it in the enclosure? Or can I just put in the enclosure, connect it to my macbook and my macbook take care of everything? Also, if I get an enclosure with FW800 ports, will it also work with my macbook if it is only FW400 capable? Thanks in advance.

2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

If you connect it to your macbook, in Disk Utility, you should be able to reformat it however you want-- HFS+ Journaled, likely...

I think FW800 is backward compatible, but not certain.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

FW800 is backward compatible with FW400 ports with the right cable, although if you don't have a computer with a FW800 port I'm not quite sure why you'd want to spend the extra on a case and cables that you can't make full use of.

Also, if it's an older 120GB drive, I'm not even sure there'd be much of a speed boost with FW800--since FW400 can (theoretically) support up to 50MB/s transfer, it can probably handle as much data as the drive can spit out.