need help burning a ISO file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by proverbs, Aug 4, 2006.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

i dont know where my windows xp cd is for my pc so i downloaded it off of a website. however i do still have the paper with serial key so i can install it.

the file that i downloaded was a .daa file but i dont know how i am supposed to burn the thing. i have Toast Titanium and burned with the data option and the .iso option but both did not work. can anyone help me out? TIA.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Perhaps this will help. http://www.poweriso.com/ Of course you'll need Windows to convert the DAA to an ISO.

B

3. gman71882 macrumors 6502

gman71882

Are you using a mac to burn it?
    a daa file may only be readable / burnable by a pc:
    Daa extension info

You could try to burn it with Disk Utility.
    Open disk utilty, drag the daa file to the left window pane, and try to burn it from there.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As per your link the DAA file is probably compressed so you'll need powerISO to extract before anything can burn it. Otherwise Toast would have been OK.

B

5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I've wondered the same thing - how you convert a .DAA into an iso. After its burned to an iso will Parallels/Bootcamp run it?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You convert DAA to ISO using PowerISO. Parallels should be able to handle the ISO image, but for Boot Camp you'll actually need to burn it to a CD.

B

7. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Just off track - with parallels is it easy to install Windows into it? I know with Bootcamp it gives you an option but is it the same with parallels?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's really easy. I just installed Win2K into it last night. Felt faster/easier than doing an install on bare metal, but all in all, very similar to installing Windows anywhere. I would recommend making an ISO image of your OS install medium though and installing from that instead of the physical disc. I only did that for a couple of apps after the OS install...

B

9. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I have to say - I've never installed Windows but am willing to give it a go if someone points me in the right direction :D

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Have you installed OS X or any other OS? It's not much different.

B

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

As I said - I've never installed an OS in my life :)

12. liminalrick macrumors newbie

burn .daa the easy way

.daa are .iso files incognito

just change the extension to .iso and you're home free. i've just done this and successfully burned with toast

13. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

I'm not sure this is true. I've just used this app to convert a daa to an iso, and the iso is 100Mb bigger.

Andy

14. xerix32 macrumors newbie

How To Burn, open, convert a DAA or UIF file converting it into ISO

DAA (Direct-Access-Archive) is the proprietary format of the software PowerISO.

UIF files (Magic ISO - Universal Image Format File) are images of physical media (usually CD / DVD) in a Magic ISO proprietary format, a useful commercial software for Windows (in the trial version you can save files with a maximum size of 300 Megabyte). UIFs are essentially ISO files (with some modification) compressed with LZMA algorithm.

HERE there is a step-by-step guide and a video-tutorial for this argument.

Bye,
    Xerix32
    :D