Need Help Buy An old iMAC G4 on ebay! HELP!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aznatari, Dec 6, 2004.

1. aznatari macrumors member

Jul 28, 2002
    Hello everyone, i am interested switching from a PC used to a mac user, and i would like to purchase an iMac g4 computer. i was probably going to try to get a bargain on ebay, but i was wondering if anyone could help me find a decent deal on the iMac G4 with Superdrive.

On average, what would you expect resonable prices for
    a) iMac g4. 1ghz, 17" superdrive
    b) iMac g4, 800ghz, 15" combo drive

i have a $1100 budget so watch that

i just need some input from you mac users.

thanks for all your help.
  2. KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Jul 1, 2004
    Check and you can find local listings. You probably live near NYC, and there are a ton of mac users in New York! Plus everyone there is so fashionable that they're probably trying to get rid of their out of date G4 :p
  3. joeswinehart macrumors member

Jul 19, 2002
    central oregon usa
    should be easy to find a machine for that price

older G4s pop up pretty regularly in that price range, here is an example:

buy it for about $1000 including shipping. It's an 800 with the superdrive, that is the model I currently use (but I am not selling mine...I'm waiting for rev B G5s)

The 1ghz model might be tougher to find for $1100 or less by the time it is shipped, but not impossible. Just be sure to check out the buyer and make sure the machine hasn't been banged up. I bought some old g3 iMacs for my classroom from a computer reseller on eBay, one stank of cigarette smoke and went belly up after a few months use. The inside was sick looking and caked with smoke buildup. Anyone have an extra flyback transformer for an old lime 266 g3?

Better to find an actual mac user selling his (or her) babied machine after buying the latest greatest thing...

Enjoy shopping and happy switching!

4. ckpg99 macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2004
    Mission, KS
  5. MadMacs44 macrumors member

Dec 8, 2004
    Western Massachusetts
    Think Options

For $1100 Beans you should probably consider a good used G4 Tower! Then at least you will have some room to grow. The G4 iMac is nice but with the tower you have so many more options...Just A thought!
  6. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

May 3, 2004
    Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
  7. Kevin Nelson macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2004
    Have you considered...

I don't wish to be a troll here but for and extra 100.00 - 200.00 you can get a new G5 - Surely that is worth the wait.
    Otherwise check Que Computers in MPLS, CALL them do NOT buy from the web. THey had a imac 17" for 799.00 a couple of weeks ago.
    Another place locally in MN is macamania, they had a bunch of G4 towers for sale around $500-700 - add a $200 LCD monitor from Tiger Direct and you have saved some good cash!
    Otherwise look for used mac places in your area and check them out as well as keeping an eye on ebay.
    --Good Luck!
  8. jamdr macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    That 15" 1GHz from looks like a pretty good deal for $999 with free shipping. I wouldn't get anything less than 1GHz is I were you. In fact, if I were you I'd just an eMac with better specs for less money, or splurge for the iMac G5.
  9. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    iMac G5 with like barely enough RAM to run the OS and the most basic specs on earth. Wheeee.
  10. grundydog2000 macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2004
    Try the Apple Reconditioned site

You may want to consider the Apple Store's Special Deals page (red tag link on the lower right-hand side of the main Apple Store page).

I see right now a 17" 1.25 GHz iMac G4 with a SuperDrive for $1099.
    eMacs are plentiful under $700 with similar specs to what you have stated.

...just a suggestion...
  11. Kevin Nelson macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2004
    Too true...

but the last time I checked, you could easily add ram and a bigger hard drive down the road. It would be faster than an imac G4 regardless according to Mac Addict's benchmarks.
  12. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Yeah, without a doubt, save up the cash to buy an iMac G5. You can always add RAM later. Meantime, I'm running 256 meg RAM in an iMac G5, and it works smooth enough. Sure some apps would like more, but they can wait. I'm upgrading to a gig of RAM after christmas.

You'll like it much more, i would say... Plus, a full year of hardware warranty, which you won't get with a used iMac (and this can come in very, very handy).