Need help buying a hard drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bobscliff, Mar 12, 2006.

1. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

I'm confused with all these certain types. People say that SATA is the way to go, but i dont think the motherboard on my old dell (i plan to install it on this one because that's where i store most of my stuff) has a SATA controller. It's a 1.8 ghz P4 from 2001 if that helps. I definitely want an internal 250gb but i want to make sure which ones will work before i take the plunge. I've narrowed it down to three choices i found on Newegg. I also like the idea of 16mb cache, but that's just an afterthought. Can anyone help me or make suggestions for other HDs out there? Thanks.

These are the ones i've found.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822144701
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148062
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16822148065

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I'll be rude first then I'll answer your question:

WHY ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT DELL HARDWARE IN A MAC FORUM?

If you don't have a Serial ATA controller you need to buy the 2nd drive on your list. You might also want to check out Western Digital JB series ATA drives they are very nice.

Once again though:

WHY ARE YOU ASKING ABOUT DELL HARDWARE IN A MAC FORUM?

3. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

ultra ata

you will want to go with the second drive. I know they make SATA controllers that go in pci slots, but it would be better if your mobo was built to handle them naturally. if you want to get a controller i think they are like 20-30 bux then you can get one of the sata drives if you want.

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

will work with the dell

Dell didn't even have an option of SATA harddrives from dell until this year :eek:

Just remember IDE or PATA or ATA .. SATA has a different connector.. If you want SATA drive then you'll need a SATA card

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

I believe that Seagate is the only manufacturer that gives you a 5 year warranty on the drive. Other companies usually only give a one year warranty. Just something to consider.

6. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Really, there's no need to be rude here =/

But yeah out of the three, the second (Seagate) drive is high quality.

7. bobscliff thread starter macrumors regular

bobscliff

Thanks a lot. I have confidence in buying the IDE drive. This was really more of a hard drive question than a "dell" question so that's why i asked it here, to answer risc's question.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I was just trying to get it out of the way before someone who actually cares about these things brought it up. ;)