Need help choosing a new car...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stonyc, Mar 27, 2007.

1. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

... for my mom. The last car she owned was a Volvo S80 and she liked it, was especially impressed by the safety features and stability. The only thing she didn't like about the car were some engine issues... whether it was the actual engine itself, or just the sensor, I'm not sure. In any case, she's looking for a new car... so let me lay out the situation and then I'd be happy for any of your input:

- she wants a luxury-class car (no Ford, Chevy, Kia, etc.)
    - she's been happy with Japanese brands in the past (Toyota, Nissan in particular) and wouldn't mind going back
    - she's not adverse to getting another Volvo
    - money is not a problem, within reason
    - not a big fan of SUV's or crossovers

The number one contender right now, given those conditions and knowing how/where she drives is the Lexus ES. I drive a Jeep Cherokee Sport :), so I'm not all that familiar with this market... so if you could throw any help this way, I'd appreciate it.

And I apologize in advance for another car thread. :)

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

u shoul take a look at the new audi's they are sooooooooooooo nice this year, acura is making really nice cars too

3. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

I would check out acura's. Aside from the IS and LS, none of their cars seem that interesting to me- they look like toyotas with a lexus symbol. The new LS i think isn't as cool looking as the old one for some reason.

Audis are quite unreliable and very expensive to fix.

4. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

With the new CTS coming this fall, I bet you could find a pretty good deal on the current gen. What does your mom prefer? RWD, FWD, AWD? The Lexus ES is not a bad car at all. My dad and I test drove it last October. Interior was pretty comfortable and used good materials. Not for me, but your mom will probably like it.

5. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

6. mac 2005 macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Have you tried Cars.com? The site has a "lifestyle" search option (link: http://www.cars.com/go/criteriaSearch/lifestyles.jsp) that allows you to search for vehicles based on your budget, how you plan to use it, etc. It will show you all the vehicles that match what you're looking for, so you'll see some stuff you might not have thought of--or even known about.

7. stonyc thread starter macrumors 65816

stonyc

Oh cool, I'll give that a try.

I personally like the IS too.. but think it might be too "sporty" for my mom.

I think FWD or AWD would be optimal, considering the Michigan winters.

I'll check out the Acura and BMW sites now..

Thanks for the suggestions so far, appreciate it. :)

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

The IS is RWD so that will rule it out. It is basically a smaller RWD ES. I would then recommend the BMW 328xi. The 335i doesn't have xDrive yet( BMW's AWD system). I am sure though the 328xi will be more then enough for your mom.

9. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

10. stonyc thread starter macrumors 65816

stonyc

She's not opposed to it at all, but like I mentioned briefly before, although she loved the car overall she had some minor issues with the engine... so she's open to other ideas.

11. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Infiniti M.

A beautiful car, you can get all wheel drive, and it crushed all comers in the latest consumer reports. It pains me to say all of this since I love Audis.:rolleyes:

12. stonyc thread starter macrumors 65816

stonyc

Well, you can get the IS in AWD.. but thanks for the tip on the 328xi, I'll definitely mention it when I talk to her next.

Right, more research on the 328xi and Acura TL.. thanks for the help so far. :)

13. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Mercedes Benz is awesome!

Subaru is also cool is you want power, loads of it, and the whole Japanese thing with AWD and all.

14. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

15. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

16. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Aha. I say take a look at an a4 then. Or an a6. If she wants to stick with Volvo, the new s40 looks nice.

17. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Well, even though I'm partial to foreign cars as well, the Chrysler 300c is a sick looking sedan, especially if you put the Bentley grill on the front...it's a sick car! And this whole setup for under $40k!

[​IMG]

18. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Beaut. What can $40K get you with an Audi/Beamer?

I'm partial to a Ford Mondeo myself. Looks much better than it's soon to be replacement.

[​IMG]

19. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Now, look at the difference between your Mondeo and the 300c I posted, looks-wise it's like comparing a Kia to a Benz!

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

The new S80 is amazing. It's new, as in all-new for 2007. This would be a hard car to beat, especially in the price range.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

I don't even see the 300c in england at all most of the time! I'm not actually that good with US cars anyway. What Bmw can be got for the price of the 300c then?

22. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

$40,000 will get you a gorgeous but severely underpowered 328xi.

23. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

I like the 1 range in the UK, but you're really just paying for the privilege of a beamer. Would a Golf Gti do the job stonyc?

24. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

While my Integra was in the shop, the Acura Dealer lent me a TSX for two days. I have to say, that is the best car i've driven. It drives nice, leather seats, GPS. Good amount of bells and whistles. The Acura TL is better, so i can only imagine what it would be like. But i've been satisfied by Acura's. You get the power and the suspention of sportier cars. Check out Subaru as well. Their legacy line is nice as well. This years model features different performance level swich. Check out the Subaru Legacy as well.

25. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Then you obviously have never driven an S80, or many other European luxury cars.