Need help choosing a PB!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by paperinacup, May 10, 2005.

1. paperinacup macrumors 6502

Here is my problem. I am debating whether or not to get a 15" or 17" model. Money NOT being an issue. Which should I get? The 17" sounds pretty big to be carrying around though. But I'd really love to have the extra 2". They are very close in price once I upgrade the 15" with a 100gb HD and 128mb Vram. This computer will be carried around a bit so I don't want anything huge on my back.

2. joey4127 macrumors 6502

joey4127

If you will really carry it around a lot, I would go with the 15". It's not that big a difference when you actually use it, but you will feel the difference in your backpack.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depends on how much and how you plan to carry it, with the right case i doubt you would notice the difference between size/weight of the two, but cases like that are expensive and harder to find

i would say the 15" is probably your best bet because of the portability, and its not that much smaller than the 17"

in the end its up to you, but are they really that close once you configure the 17" the way you want too?

4. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

ive given up on that, just accept that there will be more and more and more and more and maybe we wont go insane! ;) :p :D

6. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol thanks for the link.... I tried searching but obviously didn't come by that one.

7. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

I had a 17" and have now traded it in for a 15" and iMac 20" combination (the iMac I still have to buy). I loved the 17" but found it simply too unwieldy for uses other than cracking it open on a desk.

If space is an issue, if you need to have one machine for work and home, if you are simply going to carry a machine from work to home and back again, using it on a desk at each location, I would strongly suggest you go for the 17". Its a fantastic machine, the screen real estate is awesome and the weight is bearable for such commuting.

If however you require more portability, want to crack open a laptop on your lap on occasion, fly economy etc. I would suggest the 15" is the perfect sweetspot between portability and power. Couple this with a formal desktop solution like the iMac, based either at home or at work and you have a perfect blend of computing use.

In short, in my opinion:
    17" - True desktop replacement
    15" - True laptop

Vanilla

8. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

If you're planning to get one, I'd go with the 15" PB instead of the 17" model. IMO, the 17" PB is just too big to carry.

Actually, Apple's website is selling the current 15" PB (refubs) at great prices. A 15" combo is $1699, and the 15" w/SuperDrive is $1999. Last generation's 15" PB with SuperDrive (1.5GHz/512MB/80GB HDD/SuperDrive/etc.) is $1799.

All come with Tiger and iLife '05.

I've got the 15" combo in my cart right now. Debating whether to pull the trigger or not.

Damn, that's a tempting price. What to do, what to do?

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed.

I'd actually suggest the 17" PB, as its not really THAT heavy for a laptop. Sure, its the heaviest Mac laptop, but the 17" is about as heavy as 15" laptops offered by other companies, so you are getting a great laptop that doesn't weigh too much relative to competitors.

The size difference isn't so great, either. Sure, its 2", but the footprint of the 17" isn't much greater than the 15" if you were to put one on top of the other.

Actually, I'd get the 15" PB and an external monitor, but that wasn't an option you gave us. ;)

10. witness macrumors 6502

I have a 17" right now and I'm considering downgrading to a 15". If you need a large screen you can always plug in an external monitor. If you do get a 15", be sure to upgrade the graphics card.

11. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm actually getting 3 dell 20' monitors. So an external monitor won't be an issue. I actually think I'm going to wait until after WWDC to purchase it just to see what happens.

12. zach macrumors 65816

zach

As the owner of a brand new 15"... It's amazingly light for it's size. I'm sure the same is true of the 17", but the fact remains that the 15" is 5.6 pounds, while the 17" is 6.9. You certainly will feel that difference while carrying it.

13. The_Shocker macrumors newbie

Get a 15'' for a mixed solution

I have a 15'' PB and it is just the rite size. I thought the 17'' was too big and didn't fit rite in my carrying case(s). The 15'' has that big wide screen effect yet it has portablity at the same time (Even Steven). The 17" leans more to bigger and widescreen aspects. For a mixed solution go with the 15''.

14. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Either one is portable, however it would be smarter to go with the smaller 15" just because it will be easier to carry. Plus it will fit into just about any carrying case, usually with 17" you have to shop around untill you find a bag that fits.

15. witness macrumors 6502

I've been researching the difference between the 15 and 17 today, and apart from physical size and weight, and if you upgrade the graphics and hard drive, there are only really 2 differences that I can see:

• 17" has optical audio
    • 17" has 160 extra horizontal pixels and 46 extra vertical pixels

I don't need optical audio. Extra pixels are nice, but are they worth £130?

16. paperinacup thread starter macrumors 6502

Well my company is actually paying for whatever laptop I iwant. This is for a project that lasts 8 weeks. So as long as I have whatever in hand by June 20th I'll be happy. I have a 12" PB to hold me over until then.

17. sinisterdesign macrumors 6502

sinisterdesign

yeah, i had the option of the 15 or the 17, but that 17 is just TOO big in my opinion. it's gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but it's so big it's unruly.

i don't think you can go wrong either way. just go to the store, pick up the 17" and see if you wouldn't mind carrying it around. if not, go for it, it's a sweet machine.