Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Ok I had a base line 15" retina MacBook. Loved it, no issues other than gaming was a little weak compared to my desktop I has built/sold. Well I was able to buy my system back so I opted to sell my retina and pocket some cash. I ended up with $1000 back in my pocket. Now I miss having a laptop to take with me.

My current specs on my desktop is a i5 3500k, 8gb ram, Ssd raid (2x60gb) GTX 670 hackintosh on Mountain Lion.

Reasons for laptop:
Portability - I want to be able to do my work otg/watch my movie collection. Work programs is simple MS Office / a web based (soon to be) or program I need installed, not intensive at all

Now I play some video games as well. Starcraft II, Diablo 3, CS:Go. I don't necessarily need to be able to play those otg but wouldn't mind. The retina was sufficient but always itched for more especially coming from my current desktop.

So now I'm back to having my desktop and seeing where to go next. I could easily turn the desktop into $800 cash (give or take) and go 1 device or get a something else. Budgeting about $1000 for second device, but obviously less is ideal. I'm not a fan of having to computers as I feel data would be scattered but I guess I could do most work on the laptop and only heavy things on desktop.

Input?

rjames86

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
San Francisco
I'm somewhat in the same situation as you. I prefer to have the desktop for gaming and other things that require more processing speed and GPU.

If you are mostly looking for a portable computer, honestly I'd recommend going with an 11" Air (which is what I have right now). I've played D3, SC2 and Borderlands 2 on it. It's going to kill the battery while doing it and you'll need to turn the graphics down, but it <i>will</i> play them. I have a 13" retina for work and if I had to choose which one I want to carry around in my bag, I'm going to always choose the Air simply because of the weight.

Why scatter your data? Just install Dropbox on both of the machines and keep whatever you need on both machines in your Dropbox folder.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
This is what I was leaning towards, maybe a 13" instead. I'm already using Dropbox but like apps I install and get use to having then swapping machines and forget I needed the program. Just over thinking everything

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I sorta have the same delimma...

I have a PC Desktop which I use as a media hub for my PS3 and ATV3. I only purchase digital movies so I have everything on my PC.

I have Retina iPad (iPad 3). I bought the ipad when it come out. I had sold my 13" MacBook Pro which was a couple of years old and bought the iPad. I had just finished school so didn't really need the MacBook Pro anymore.

Now I'm starting to miss having a laptop.
The iPad is limited in certain aspects and I would really like a 15" screen.

I'm sorta torn, I really don't need anything more powerful than the 13" MacBook Air, but I really want the 15" Retina Screen.

Price difference is substantial too.

Don't know what to do :(

First world problems.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
Yeah I have an ipad mini as well as primarily it is only used to watch some movies and play games.

First world problems indeed....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.