Need help configuring Airport Express with ResNet!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Littleodie914, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Hey guys, I just moved into my dorm, and am trying to set up my Airport Express to access the internet wirelessly. I've checked the "help slip" they give you when you check in, and it explicitly says that routers are allowed on their ResNet, but their tech support won't help you set them up. I can get to the internet fine now (obviously :p ) with my computer directly connected to the jack via an ethernet cable, but when I plugged my AE into the jack, it won't work.

The router light turns and stays green, and when I try to go to a website Safari attempts to redirect to the login page, but says the server can't be found. So it's definitely somewhat working, as it knows to redirect the page, but it just can't find it. When I plugged my laptop in and it redirected, the same page loaded fine. Any help with this? :confused:

And secondly, what is ResNet really? Like how much privacy do students have? Does it keep track of your browser history, in/out traffic, etc? Reason for my asking is I'm halfway done "obtaining" a copy of the Leopard preview just to dink around with and check out all the cool stuff. :p Will they see this traffic? If they can tell, it's not a big deal and I'll forget about it, but I kinda wanted to have some pre-release fun. :) Thanks!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It would probably be useful to explain where you are. :p But I'm guessing the University of Michigan, because they call their system ResNet and you're from MI... :)

Let me see if I can help on a couple of things....

First, I don't know if ResNet still works the way it did when I was there... do you have to log into ResNet with a PPPoE username and password when you plug the cable directly into your computer?

Second, did you try the Airport Setup Assistant? What exactly did it do? It should be in your applications or utlities folder.

Third, have you tried the Diagnostics? If you haven't go do it, and tell us which lights are green in it and which are red, and what it says about why your network doesn't work. (System Preferences -> Network -> Assist Me -> Diagnostics)

Fourth, no, don't expect privacy in that sense. No one is reading your e-mail, but if P2P is not already blocked, don't expect the University to get your back if you decide to use it. They have not done so in the past, are not legally obligated to do so, and have no vested interest in doing so....

3. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I'm going to college at Michigan Tech, if it helps at all. I haven't given it a shot yet, but via a google search, I found that ResNet's site says in order to set up a router, you have to call them and register the router's MAC address with their system. Should I try that? I don't want to go through a bunch of "standard procedure" steps if there's an easier way. Surely some college kids must have experience with this. :cool: :D

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You almost certainly have to register the MAC address because the network is MAC filtered. In that case, the only alternatives are to steal an administrator password (which would likely get you expelled) or spoof someone else's MAC address (which is a crappy thing to do, since then their computer might not work, and which would probably cost you your access when you get found out). Or it's possible it's a bluff, in which case you can certainly call it. If those options don't appeal to you, live off campus and pay for internet service.

5. Littleodie914 thread starter macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Alrighty guys, got it working! Turns out all I had to do was go to the registration page with my laptop, add a router to my list of devices, type in its MAC address, and it worked fine when I plugged it in! :D