Need help consolidating two mac's and a gmail account...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Littleodie914, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Hey guys, here's my predicament. I just upgraded both my iBook and our iMac to Tiger, and am loving it like no tomorrow. :cool: One thing I like especially about it is the new Mail. Some like it and some don't, I know, but I fit into the former category. I have a gMail account with a bunch of old mail, about 100 pieces. When I installed Tiger, it was a clean install on both the machines. So while all my mail messages are "lost", they're kept server-side.

I have two issues I'd like to solve. One is I would like to somehow set up Mail (or gMail?) to download not only new mail, but read pieces of mail too. This would solve issue #2, which is that whenever I check the mail on my iMac, any new pieces of mail are downloaded, and marked on the server as being read. So when I check with my iBook later, it doesn't download that piece of mail.

It might sound a bit OCD, but I'd really like to have identical mailboxes. I don't want to worry about having to check the other computer or gMail online for two reasons mainly... It'd be nice to have access to all my messages from either computer, and... Spotlight

So, if you guys have maybe worked through this and have a solution, or even have to tell me that there isn't one, I would appreciate some feedback. :) TIA!

2. ghostee macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Villa Park, IL
    I can answer part of that...

Logon to your GMail account, and click settings. Clicking forwarding and POP, and then select the box that says Enable POP for all mail. The next time connects, it will download ALL e-mail from your GMail box. This will let you get all your old message back into Mail.