Need help creating a 3d logo in AE CS6

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Stephiebby, Apr 13, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Hello,

My name is Stephanie and I'm trying to make a logo for a friend of mine in After Effects CS6. I have only been using this program for about a month so I still do not know everything about it, but I'm slowly learning more and more.

Anyways, I finished creating the logo in Photoshop, saved it both as a jpg and as a psd file. I looked up some tutorials on how to make text 3d in AE but I've found that since it is not a text object anymore that under "Geometry Options" there is no option to bevel or extrude, as all of the tutorials I looked at used this method.

Is there a way that I can take this basic black wording over a white background (which I will eventually make transparent) and make it 3d with depth?

I apologize if this is not the right section to ask this but I haven't used these forums too much. Also I said, I tried looking around for the answer but I don't want to spend hours looking if it cannot be done.

Thank you!

2. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

You need to make it transparent now in Photoshop. It might be a background layer now if you merged it, so you just need to select it in the layers box and make it a layer. Just use the Color Range feature, select the white, and it should do it very cleanly without any issue.

After that convert it to a shape and you should then have the bevel/extrude features in AE once you reimport it.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, I'll try that now and see if that works. Thanks!

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried using the convert to a shape option but it is greyed out for some reason. I tried selecting the image with the magic wand tool but that still didn't work. Is there a specific way to get this option to work?

5. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Figured it out!

So, you want to select your text out, and then go to Window > Paths.

And then click on the options button on the top right and click "Make Work Path".

Then click the Pen Tool, right-click on the logo, and then select Define Custom Shape and give it a name.

And then just re-add it using the Custom Shape Tool. Save it and then try reimporting to AE. That should work.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

What method should I use to export so it is read as a shape? It keeps just importing as an image file.

7. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Ahh, right! I would try Export > Paths to Illustrator and then use that file.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I be importing the .ai file it made into AE? Or do I go into illustrator and save it as another file type?

When I try to import the .ai file it is just blank (even though I used the live paint bucket tool to fill the paths in with black).

9. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

You want to go into Illustrator, copy the path, and then paste it into After Effects.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

It still doesn't have the option to extrude. Is there something that I'm missing?

Heres what it looks like now:
    [​IMG]

11. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

It looks like you still have your background.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

I think that is the background of the AE comp, Is there a way to make that transparent?

13. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

It's next to where it says Active Camera on your screenshot. On the left there's a checkered button.

Although I'm not sure where to go from here. :confused: Considering I just tried to make a basic shape to see if the options would work that way.

So I'll let someone else chime in.

14. 12dylan34, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

macrumors 6502a

The only thing that After Effects can extrude is text layers and shape layers, meaning that you need to be able to convert your graphic into a shape layer. For this, it must be a vector graphic format, preferably .ai. You CAN'T extrude an Ai file without first converting it to a shape layer.

NOTE: A "shape layer" is something very specific in After Effects, and not just a solid with a mask on it.

Import your .ai file into AE, drag it into a comp, then, with the layer selected, go to Layer > Create Shapes from Vector Layer. It will think for a minute, then create a shape layer version of your graphic. You will then be able to extrude the shape layer.

If it doesn't work, then your .ai file doesn't actually contain a vector graphic. From your screenshot, it looks like you might have chosen auto-trace instead of the correct option that I listed above.

If you can't do it, collect your project (file > collect files), zip up the folder that it creates, and upload it to your next post and I'll take a look.

I've attached a screenshot if that's useful to you.

I'm 99% sure that your issue is in what you're trying to extrude. If I were you, I would just quickly remake that logo in Illustrator (which is really the correct tool to use for logos), then save that and import it into AE.

Attached Files:

15. macrumors 6502a

If it just needs to be a still, I agree. After Effects isn't going to give a lot of options as to customizing the look of the 3D all too much. Photoshop for a still, or a dedicated 3D program for motion, I would say.